Sunday, March 29, 2015

One random act of kindness...

 
 


"Can we change the world? Maybe. Maybe if it is an inch or less at a time..."



I think maybe the nicest thing that was ever said about me happened at a former company. Somebody said I was "always nice to people." Oh, how I wish that were true. But it is not. I am not always nice. As much as I would like to be, my true human nature often wins out. I can be a jerk. And I hate it when that happens.

The second nicest thing ever said about me (at the same company) was that I "really do like people." To that I will plead guilty. I love people. I love getting to know them, getting to know their stories. People think I love to tell my stories, and I do. But what I love more is hearing other people's stories. I never tire of them. To me, life stories are the fabrics which stich us all together.

Some time ago, a person I did volunteer work with had an attitude which truly inspired me. He set out to make a difference each and every day in someone's life. But he was also a realist. He knew he was but one grain of sand in the desert. What could he do that mattered? Each day, one random act of kindness. Because even small things matter. Each and every day he would do a random act of kindness for someone known or unknown. Many days he would do this more than once.

Just like in the "starfish" story, the smallest act of kindness can make a big (or not so big) impact in a person's life. A kind word said, an unkind word left unsaid, a helping hand, an opened door, they all make a difference. Sometimes that simple act can be an overture to getting to know someone. Or getting to know someone better. Developing a deeper relationship.

Our pastor often talks about how we are all relational beings. We long for relationships with others. Many long for a deeper relationship with God. As we enter into Holy Week, this is good time to reflect back on the significance of these seven days leading up to Easter. It is a good time to think about relationships, kindness, love. And hope. That is what this week is all about. Without Easter, none of these would be possible as there would be no hope.

Random acts of kindness. A small, yet important way to show love and kindness to each other. In one week, we will celebrate the greatest act of love the world has ever known. Each day, every day, an act of kindness is a wonderful way to honor that great gift. That great gift we received from God on Easter Sunday two thousand years ago. 



No comments:

Post a Comment