Thursday, June 9, 2016

Toxic Words






"Now this former law professor, the head of the local NAACP, is all over this lawmaker for making a 'racist' comment. What word? Thug."



Boy am I out of it! Every year I find out there is another innocent word which has now become off limits. And my very PC oldest daughter constantly reminds me when I step off the curb and use a word I should not. Now keep in mind when I was growing up, these words were all innocent. Now they are toxic. So toxic, that using a once innocent word can earn you the term "racist".

One of our state legislatures recently penned an editorial about policing. His advice was to people was very sage. When what to do when you have a run in with the police. How to act to ensure this situation does not escalate. As we have seen in the past, escalation of this type of situation seldom leads to good outcomes.

The legislature happened to use the word "thug" in his article. Well slap me across the face! When that word become racist? For crying in the beer, most (the vast majority) of people that I know who use that term, use it with no race intended. 

This is one thing I strongly agree with Donald Trump on. We are PC'd do death in this country. Innocent words like gyp, gay, queer, community, thug, tranny, and so forth are now off limits. Fifty years ago, gyp meant someone took advantage of another person. Now it is offensive to Gypsies. Gay was happy. Queer was odd. Community was where you lived. Thug was someone who bullied. And tranny was short for your car's transmission. 

Now this former law professor, the head of the local NAACP, is all over this lawmaker for making a "racist" comment. What word? Thug. That nasty word. Well guess what Ms. Levi-Pounds - it is not a racist word. Never has been. We are trying to tort, or change that word to become toxic. We have to stop becoming so easily offended! Please!

I am going to continue to use the words that I grew up with which were innocent by their very nature. If people get offended by them, that is just going to have to be their problem. If all else fails, I will fall back on the old reliable excuse - I am old and have a defective filter!  

No comments:

Post a Comment