Thursday, August 31, 2017

Come together....







"As I asked this Democrat which came to the booth, 'You want a better Minnesota sir, am I correct?' He nodded his head yes. Then I responded , 'We do also - now let's talk.'"



Interesting experience at the fair today while on booth duty. A couple of men came up to the booth looking like they were interested. I figured they were not too interested, as one had a "Dayton-Smith" tee-shirt on. I am not the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I am not stupid either.

It has been many years since I have been "cowed" by a Lefty. By the same token, I have learned (as I have aged) how to disagree without becoming disagreeable. Often not easy, but important. Why? The battleground is not so much preaching to the converted - the battle ground of ideas lies beyond our borders. In the middle and on the Left. Convincing - not arguing.

Back to the two Democrats which came to the booth. They poked around Jeff's literature, his buttons, and then then unloaded their salvo. I was ready for it - I knew it was coming. Every question asked was responded to with a Jeff type answer. As hard as they tried to trap me, it was not going to happen. Then I said to the man wearing the Dayton tee-shirt, "Sir, I bet if we put down on paper everything we hoped for the future of Minnesota, we would have many more agreements than disagreements." He looked at me and nodded his head.

When I was a negotiator for all those many years, I never argued. When that happens, the day is lost. If you can't convince with facts, then maybe your facts are not what they should be. Coming together as a state, convincing the other side your view is right, does not mean obliterating them. Not at all. It means showing the facts as they are. Showing the vision, and how all can benefit. If you can do that the right way, everyone can walk away feeling good about themselves and what they have done.

Myself? I love talking to the middle. More than that, I love talking to the Left. I have never been a good "preaching to the choir" type of guy. Boring. The way you win elections is to convince your way is the better way. Better than the other side. As I asked this Democrat which came to the booth, "You want a better Minnesota sir, am I correct?" He nodded his head yes. Then I responded , "We do also - now let's talk."

4 comments:

  1. What arguments (facts) did you use?
    The following I bet.........
    Do you believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense.
    Do you believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals.
    Do you believe that conservative policies generally emphasize empowerment of the individual to solve problems.

    Same old crap that separates the classes and destroyed the middle class and put 80% of the nations wealth in the hands of the top 1% of the population.
    You must be so proud.

    David Gjerdingen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a friend who saw your post Dave - "Pondering the Comment ON the blog site by the ever-present DG. In my head, I made a list of the exact opposite of all the things he listed as your probable (and, in his opinion, despicable) talking points. Does he believe this direct-opposite list to be the answer for what ails us?" See what you miss by not being a FB friend of the Bird?

      Delete
  2. We Snowflakes believe in government action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all.
    Racism, sexism, bigotry and gay bashing as espoused by Breitbart, Fox News, etal and embraced by conservatives do not meet our definition of "moral authority".

    We believe It is the duty of the government to alleviate social ills and to protect civil liberties and individual and human rights.

    We believe the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need. Churches, NGO's are incapable or unwilling to perform this vital role.

    Liberal policies generally emphasize the need for the government to solve problems, not create them. Rejection of climate change issues, reckless military excursions, removal of regulations designed to protect individuals, institutions and the environment do not represent our values.

    A rising tide lifts all boats and the tide is receding rapidly.

    The ever-present David Glerdingen

    Ps Facebook is no place for discourse, it is for kitten videos and pictures of restaraunt plates where you leave crappy tips for the working poor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You write with such an angry pen brother. Remember - the Bird is the one who is supposed to be the Very Angry one...

      Delete