Sunday, June 25, 2023

Our paucity of people





This one is going to be a "DUH" for many of us. It will be as profound as saying water is wet. But every now and again, I am reminded on just how few of us are working these days. What are the reasons for so many job openings all over the place? The pandemic? Biden? Apathy? Or a little of all of these. All I know is this - I have NEVER seen it like this before. And there is no end in sight.

My beloved computer died last week. I have Geek Squad coverage, so I made an appointment to bring it into my Best Buy location closest to where I live. When I arrived, it was like a ghost town. Now, in the past, I have visited the Geek Squad with other computer problems. I was a busy place. The other day however, there was only one Geek Squad member behind the counter. She said she was sorry for the delay, but she was the only one there. They have been trying to hire more people, but it has been slim pickings.

This morning, the Govenor of South Dakota was pitching jobs for her state. Oh they have jobs alright - just not enough people. But it is not just South Dakota - from what I read, there are no states with a labor surplus. Only labor shortages. And the millions of illiterate immigrants which Biden has been letting into the country? Not much help. No language, no skills. 

Been out for fast food as of late? It seems the term "fast" has taken on a new meaning, and it has nothing to do with speed. Most places operate on a razor thin margin of people, and one person calling in sick, could gum up the entire works. Or many retail stores for that matter. You walk in some, and clerks are as scarce as hen's teeth. To make matters worse, in high tax states (like Minnesota), more are leaving than coming in (except for the illegals).

I guess this is now our new normal. Kids doing crappy in schools, but who cares? They don't want to work when they get out of school anyhow. Just give them some Biden Bucks and they will be be fine. As for the rest of us, get in line and wait. 


No comments:

Post a Comment