Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Air travel needs a HUGE "do over"!





"I will take driving my truck any day of the week and twice on Sunday over flying. Nothing like paying big bucks for a lousy time and a horrible ride."  


I have not ranted about air travel for a while, so today might be a good time to do so. After yesterday, one might wonder what our best form of transportation is. Seems that Amtrak is still not ready for prime time (and so long as it stays a government program, probably never will be). Air travel? Talk to the folks who spent an unplanned night in the Atlanta airport, sleeping on the floor. Even cruise ships are not immune. How about that Royal Caribbean ship which had the stomach virus sicken hundreds last week. 

However, air travel is the 800 pound ape in the corner of the room. It has a ton more passenger miles than Amtrak any day of the week. Now, I used to travel by air quite a bit for my job. Back then, I belonged to the NWA World Club, had gold status for a few years, and often times flew first class because of that status. The planes were roomier and much more comfortable. Often times they were not full to the brim, so matter where you sat, you could stretch out. Oh yes - there was often time food served which you did not have to pay for.

What is flying like today? Like getting a root canal without Novocain or gas to dull the pain. Long, long lines to check in, intrusive TSA screening to get through security, and then waiting at a crowded gate to get on a plane which is almost SRO.

Flying down and back to Ft. Lauderdale this month, was not fun by any stretch. Both flights were on fairly new Boeing 737-900 jets. Or should I say "flying sardine cans". Both flights were oversold, so passengers were asked to give up their seats to fly later. The plane was totally full (both ways), and the only way this full plane could have been comfortable is if every one on board was a Munchkin. But we are not, so it was not.

I told my wife when we got home, I loved the cruise except for the very start and the very end of it. That would be the air travel. We would love to take the south seas cruise some time, but to do so would mean a one way air trip to Australia. No thanks. I flew that once in business class while working, and that was brutal. I can only imagine what sitting like a pretzel in coach class for 12 plus hours would be like.

No, for air travel for once again to be fun and enjoyable, the industry needs a HUGE make over (or a "do over"). Right now it sucks. I will take driving my truck any day of the week and twice on Sunday over flying. Nothing like paying big bucks for a lousy time and a horrible ride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment