Thursday, April 25, 2013

Yet, one more end of the world warning....

 
 


"What is the matter? You act like this is the end of the world..."



Last week, I was at the YMCA trying to enjoy my daily torturous workout. If I told you my daily trips to the "Y" were fun, I would be lying to you. However, I am committed to do something, at least 30 to 60 minutes a day, resulting in a wet t-shirt by the time I get done.

As soon as I got up to the treadmill area, one of my friends came up to chat. He is a very nice man, very smart and at least two decades younger than I am. After about 30 seconds he asked this question - "Are you ready for May 20th?" With the winter we have had, my answer to that question would have been "Heck yes!" Then he said, "That is the day the world is going to end."

My first thought was "Oh crap. Did we not just go through this on December 21st of last year?" In my over six decades on this planet, I can remember countless times someone, from a faith position or otherwise, has predicted the end of the world. I think the first time was in 1969 when Jean Dixon predicted that California would break off and fall into the Pacific. After that, all hell would unleashed on the rest of us. It was to happen sometime in late April of 1969. Lucky me, during that time, I was in boot camp in San Diego. I was trying to figure out if I could swim back to Nevada if she was right.

My YMCA friend, who is very learned in Bible prophecy, went of to give me a bevy of information to back up his assertion. I am not well versed in the subject, so I just politely listened. I don't know much, but I do know this - the Bible tells us two things: 1) Always be prepared as this day could be your last and 2) No one knows the hour or the day of return of the Savior.

After we finished our chat, I was once again sweating my butt off on the treadmill. A thought crossed my mind of something I should have asked him. If he was so certain that the world was going to end in less than a month, what the heck are we doing at the YMCA? I do this for the long haul, not because I enjoy it. Also, I would be done paying bills - period. I would have Rib Eye and wine every night with a good cigar afterwards. Again, I don't do that now because I am in this for the long haul.

So on May 20th, I will get up, get my sweats on and go to the YMCA. If the world ends that day, so be it - I will be ready. If not, I will come home, take a shower, and continue my non-stop job of yard work. Then I will once again wait to see when the next doomsday is scheduled to occur.


No comments:

Post a Comment