Saturday, June 15, 2013

Father's Day, revisited





"My Dad, now there was a man…."




My Dad has been gone almost 13 years now. It really seems just like yesterday he and I would chat. I miss him more today than ever. He was my pal - my pal forever. He was my Dad.

The following is the eulogy I did for my Dad's funeral. I am posting it as my tribute to him on Father's Day.

When I was growing up, there was a popular song called “My Dad”. Although, I have long since forgotten the words, it started out, “My Dad, now there is a man…” The song went on to extol the virtues of this young man’s father and how much he meant to him. When I now think of that song, I think of my Father.

My Dad truly was a special man. I know that quite often in death it is tempting to make someone greater than he was in life – however, with my Father that is not necessary. He was not a perfect man, but a very good man indeed. He was kind to everyone he met, and loved to talk and share experiences. For over sixty-six years, he was a loving and devoted husband to my Mother , a wonderful Father to my sister and myself, and a very caring Grandfather to his nine grandchildren.


Dad was a part of the “Greatest Generation”, not only by being born in the time period as well as serving in the Army during World War II, he was part of the “Greatest Generation” by the way he lived his life. He brought to life and demonstrated such anachronistic terms as nobility, virtue and chivalry. In short, my Dad was a true gentleman.


Although he never had the opportunity to go to college, my Dad was a life long learner. It was hard to see him in his chair without a mountain of books next to him. He became a self-taught expert on many aspects of American history, in particular the Civil War.


He worked for the same company for over 40 years and retired at age 70. He loved manufacturing and was very knowledgeable of it. I believe he was thrilled when after college I ended up working for three different manufacturing companies. Although a different type of manufacturing than Dad was used to, he was very interested, and always had many questions for me.


I have always been proud of my Dad. I was proud that he and I were “pals forever” in YMCA Indian Guides. I was proud of the example that he set for me on how to live life itself. I was proud that he was with me the day I went into the Navy and was with me the day I retired. I was proud when he and my Mother visited our house so I could show Dad the different things or projects I was working on. I was proud that every dog and cat that my wife and I have owned, my Dad treated as if they were his. Most of all, I was proud to call Dad my mentor, my guide, my friend.


Thank you Dad, for always being there for me. Thank you for the gift of love and support that you never stopped giving. Thank you for the love and kindness you have shown my Mother, your children and everyone else your life touched.


My Dad, now there was a man….

No comments:

Post a Comment