Monday, August 5, 2019

Sorting through the nuts and bolts of life...





"My goal for my grandson is to leave him not only with well organized tools which he will be able to use, but also some wisdom."


Sorry - this post is not going to be that type of profundity that one would only find in Psychology Today. No, this is more like the real nuts and bolts, and less like the "meaning of life" nuts and blots. Well - sort of. In any event, this has become a mission of mine for the month of August to sort things out on my workbench.

Over the years, from my Grandfather, my Father, my Father-in-Law, and me - I have accumulated a bunch of nails, screws, bolts, nuts, washers, and so forth. Most of which have found their way into my garage, or basement workbench in a very chaotic fashion. How were they organized? Short answer - they were not.

Not that I am thinking about cashing in my chips as yet, I have made a promise to myself that what I leave behind will not be a mess, nor a burden. Including my tools and - nuts and bolts. Will this be for my two son in laws? Nope - one has a nicely furnished workbench, and the other is just starting out (already gave him a screw gun). What I am doing now is for my grandson.

My goal for my grandson is to leave him not only with well organized tools which he will be able to use, but also some wisdom. Here is where a bit of the Psychology Today comes in. I not only want to help his parents teach him to do the right thing at the right time, I want to help teach him about the real America.

Our real history. Not some PC mumbo jumbo they might be teaching in the schools when he is old enough. In other words, I want not only to teach him about the nuts and bolts for what lands on his workbench - I want to teach him about the nuts and bolts of life. About where he lives and why. So he is solid. So he does not get cowed.

This the stuff which legacy is made of. It is not just the stuff on the workbench - it is advice and council. I received mine from my ancestors. And it is priceless. My duty is to pass that advice on, as well as I can, to those who follow me. Oh yes, one more thing. Those who follow me will also be getting some very organized nuts and bolts for their workbench. That is after all, what this is all about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment