Sunday, December 12, 2021

Why the Army/Navy game?





"But who really won? We all did. Every American."


Yesterday, the annual Army/Navy football game was played in New Jersey. Every year, it is the culmination of the college football season. Not that these two teams are the best in the nation (talent wise), but they are always very good. But what is it then, which makes this game so special? By now, most of us have heard the tag line to this game. It is the same every year. "Every person playing in this game, would lay down his life for everyone watching." True words. Not only everyone watching, but also every person on the other team.

Because of my Navy background, I cheer for the blue and gold every year. However - that is not why I watch the game. Also, no matter who wins the game, America wins. The best of the best get picked to attend any of our service academies. Every person playing this game, or in uniform in the stands watching this game - represents America's finest. I have yet to see one of these games without getting a lump in my throat.

To be chosen to attend any of the service academies (in my opinion), is the highest of honors. Yes, even the Air Force Academy! Seriously, any of the academies are excellent. Back in high school, one of my classmates was selected to attend West Point. I was very proud of him then, and still am. If he is reading this, he knows how I feel. It was a lifetime honor. He attended, he graduated, and then served with dignity and honor. 

USAA was one of the sponsors of the game. For those who do not know, USAA is fraternal insurance, only for those who have served. It is an honor and privilege to have USAA as an insurance company. Both of my daughters are insured by USAA, as it is also for family members of a service member. And even though I have been retired from the Navy for 30 years, whenever I need to call USAA, I am still referred to by my rank. It is a great company to be associated with.

The Army's official motto is, "This We'll Defend". The Navy's unofficial motto is Semper Fortis (Always Courageous). There are other unofficial mottos, but I like Semper Fortis the best. In any event, it is all good. Be it a Marine, a sailor, a soldier, an airman, a "Coastie", or in the new Space Force, it is all good. Being in the service, and a veteran thereafter, is an experience hard to describe. It is one which the vast majority of those who served, would never trade. 

Like I said, it was a great game this year. Last year, Army won in the "fog bowl". This year, Navy won in a "squeaker". But who really won? We all did. Every American. Next year, God willing, I will watch it again. I will cheer for the Navy again. But in reality, regardless of who wins, I will be cheering for America. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment