Monday, October 8, 2018

Good-bye Columbus





"In Minnesota, I deeply love our Native culture. It is rich and deep. By the same token, I also love the daring and bravery of the early settlers. And I still believe that Christopher Columbus was a great man." 



Christopher Columbus, one of the most famous and prolific explorers of all time - is getting fired. More and more townships, cities and states are refusing to recognize this man for his accomplishments. Instead, many are either ignoring this day which has been set aside in recognition of Columbus discovering America, or renaming it something else - like Indigenous Peoples Day.

Many of use older folk remember studying Columbus while in elementary school. We barely scratched the surface on learning about this complex man. Was he a saint or a sinner, one might ask? The answer is the same as with most people throughout history - both. He was married, yet also took a mistress. He made vast discoveries, yet also took slaves. He was self educated, and dared to venture where few, if anyone, had gone before. 

Why was Columbus so important. To put it in the common man's vernacular, he "got the ball rolling." He got the journey to the New World going. Did he do all of his exploring for the benefit of mankind? Maybe - or he did it for himself. What really drove him was the search for the western sea passage to the East Indies. Why? Spices. They were like gold back then. 

Now before my PC leaning friends jump all over me, and ask why Columbus is more important than the indigenous people who inhabited America long before it was "discovered" - I am not. The older I get, the more fascinated I am with the rich history of the peoples who inhabited the Americas. Do I think they deserve a holiday just like Columbus? Maybe so. But I also feel that Christopher Columbus also deserves one.

Today on the news, it was reported that Columbus, Ohio was now going to "deep six" any recognition of the man the city is named after. For what purpose? More PC madness. Some people go bat crazy when they find out that Columbus took slaves. Yes, that was wrong. But in history, taking and owning slaves was not that uncommon during that period. Just look at some of our Founders from very early America. 

In Minnesota, I deeply love our Native culture. It is rich and deep. By the same token, I also love the daring and bravery of the early settlers. And I still believe that Christopher Columbus was a great man. A great man who did great things. Like discover America. For that alone, I will always recognize this day to be Columbus Day. Regardless of what the ruling elite tell me to do.  

3 comments:

  1. IIRC the original Columbus Day was the 12th. If you wanted, you could go back to that observance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever happened to "history written by the victors"?

    ReplyDelete