Sunday, May 5, 2019

Cinco, Bastille, or Boxing?






"Well, whatever. Today is May 5th, and I have some pretty good tequila down in my bar. I might have to have some chips and salsa, washed down with a home made something or other, made with that fine tequila."



For those who do not know, and I doubt today if there were many, today is Cinco de Mayo. Oh my gosh! Do Americans ever love this Mexican holiday! In fact some love it almost as much as an American holiday. If you ever want to do something fun on Cinco de Mayo, ask a group of party goers, what this holiday is all about. If you are lucky, one or two might say it stands for May 5th. I dare say none would be able to explain the origins of this day.

For Americans, this day should mean nothing. I am surprised many Mexicans care for it either, as it involves their history from many years ago. It would be like the United States celebrating a major battle in the War of 1812 each year. That would never happen. Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico's victory over the French in the battle of Puebla in the mid 1800's.. Get the picture? What? Where? Huh?

I think my wife hit the nail on the head this morning. When I asked why this day is such a big deal to so many non-Hispanics who live in this country, she had a very good and succinct answer. "So they can go out and drink margaritas". Bingo! Americans don't give a hoot and a holler about this battle which occurred in Mexico so long ago. Just like most Americans would be hard pressed to name any battles in the War of 1812. But to go out and have a couple of margaritas with some salt on the glass, a couple limes, with some crushed ice - now you are talking!

What the heck? Why don't we celebrate Bastille Day also? That is a big deal in France, so why not here? Or Boxing Day? That is big in the Commonwealth - heck, we were part of the Commonwealth at one time. Why not here? Simple answer? These holidays don't have margaritas. Now if the Boxing Day had a tradition of Bloody Mary's, well, then we might be getting someplace. Or if Bastille Day had a day of champagne all day, many might sign up for that also. And please - don't let me forget about St. Paddy's day, when EVERYONE is Irish (thanks Mike)!

Well, whatever. Today is May 5th, and I have some pretty good tequila down in my bar. I might have to have some chips and salsa, washed down with a home made something or other, made with that fine tequila. Why would I do that? When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Or in this case, when in America on May 5th, do as the Mexicans do.   

No comments:

Post a Comment