Friday, July 27, 2012

The Rainbow Bridge




I have a fascination with with stories. I like to tell stories, but even better, I like to hear other people's stories. I believe one of the untapped treasures in our country are the myriad of stories yet untold. Stories are a cornerstone of life - one of the elements which give life its precious essence. In short, stories are life.

That being said, I have wanted to memorialize the life of my cat Morty. Unfortunately, his passing is too recent and the loss has left my emotions too raw. However, I will tell his story at some time - and what a story this little guy had! However, for this posting, I am going to reprint the good-bye letter I wrote after we lost our first dog, Pepper.

I would like to say that having dogs and/or cats don't effect our lives - but I can't. They are friends of the highest order. They constantly remind us what unconditional love really means. As legend goes, when beloved pets die, they wait for us on the "Rainbow Bridge". If the legend is true, I will have quite a cadre of friends waiting for me at the bridge. Spooky, Tavi, Desi, Morty and of course, our first dog Pepper.

I am writing this note to say goodbye to my friend, my pal, Pepper. I am sorry that I could not say goodbye to you before you left, but I didn’t know you were leaving so soon. Oh, I knew you were very sick – in the back of my heart I was afraid that this was something that you would not come out of. But now you are gone, and I am left with my thoughts of our time together.

In the midst of all my sadness, I am comforted to know that every day of your life you knew that you were so very loved. When I was at home, you were my constant companion. When I was outside, you would lie down close to where I was working. When I was in my home office, you would lie behind my chair. Quite often when I would sleep, you would sleep next to me. When I was away from home, I felt comforted knowing that you would protect with your life the ones I held dearest to my heart. Yes Pepper, you were the all around good dog.
Pepper, our life will go on as it must. You will always be remembered, always missed. After the sting of your passing subsides, I will think of you with a smile on my face as the good times we had together will always be in my heart. Every time I throw a Frisbee, wander down in “Pepper’s Hollow”, or even sit in home office, I will think of you. You have enriched this family, changed this family, in a way that I could never have imagined.

Now pepper, as hard as this is, I must now let you go. Thank you for being my friend, my pal, my dog. To quote a friend of mine, the only thing you ever did wrong, was to die.

Until I see you on the bridge my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment