Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Second Miracle of Pensacola




"God again taught us all a lesson. He is in control. Absolutely, constantly, undeniably, in control."



My second miracle of Pensacola happened a year and a half after the first. I had finished my first tour of duty in Okinawa and was accepted into advanced training in Pensacola. My cousin Betty was still living in Pensacola. However, she had moved out of the convent and was sharing an apartment with another nun. My parents thought it would be fun to (again) come down to Pensacola to visit while I was stationed there. Once more, Cousin Betty was able to find lodging for us right on Pensacola Beach.

Both Betty and I had been accomplished swimmers. Betty had at one time had obtained a life guard certificate. I had received my training and Red Cross life guard certificate prior to entering the service. Shortly after my parents arrived in town, we were enjoying a nice afternoon of visiting and telling old family stories. Weather wise, it was not a very nice day. There was a weak tropical depression off Florida's west coast. From the beach home we were renting, watching the waves and surf was a spectacular sight.

Out of pure foolishness, Betty and I decided to get our suits on and go “body surfing” in the storm driven waves. It was tough surf that day. If you could get beyond the first sand bar, the chances of catching a huge wave was excellent. The trick was getting past the first sand bar and into that wild surf. The rip tide was so strong, it would take your legs out from under you. The under tow and the waves were in a constant struggle to see which could pull you the hardest. However, to catch one of those huge waves, and have it take you twenty or thirty yards with all that force behind it, made the struggle seem worthwhile.

On one set of waves, Betty was ten to fifteen yards further out that I was. She was standing on the “sweet spot” (the final sand bar) where the big waves really cranked up. As she was getting ready, I could see a monster wave develop right behind her. I yelled at her to watch out, but she could not hear me over the roar of the surf. I watched in horror as the wave hit her while she was in an unprepared state. The wave then hit me and I struggled to keep my head above water to I could keep my eye on Betty. She came to the surface in serious trouble. The next thing I could see was another big wave catch her again. This time she did not reappear.

Here I was, maybe thirty feet away from where Betty went under. The water was so churned up that I could not see more than six inches below the surface. The rip tide was dragging me down the shore as the waves were knocking backwards. I did not have a clue on where to start looking for my cousin. I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that Betty and I had made a foolish decision, and we were about to pay for that decision with Betty’s life. I knew that I had a slim chance at best of finding Betty. However, I did remember the lesson that I learned from my first trip to Pensacola – the power of prayer. I prayed, “Oh dear God, please help me and give me the strength to find Betty, please!” I dove under the churning water and reached out with all my might. Into my hand came Betty’s arm.

Now I could say that I found her by luck, good guessing or dead reckoning. Or I could say that God used me to rescue Betty because He had other plans. Over the years, Betty and I have talked about that day many times. Betty knew she was losing the battle and was probably going to die. She knew the chances of me finding her in that pounding surf were very remote. That day, in the middle of a turbulent storm, God again taught us all a lesson. He is in control. Absolutely, constantly, undeniably, in control.

I thank God for the many years that we had with Betty after that horrible day. Yes, God did finally call Betty home – but it was when He wanted her there. Betty was here to attend our wedding, knew both of our children and continued to be the selfless, giving saint to the entire family. Perhaps the reason God gave us Betty for all those extra years was to bless our family. I don’t know, but I do know this. Betty and I did something foolish on that stormy day in Pensacola and did not deserve anything but a bad outcome. God in a demonstration of His magnificent grace said, “No, not this day. You will live to do wonderful things for my glory”. Amen.


1 comment: