Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The BEST State Fair (almost)...




♫ Our State Fair is the best State Fair, ♫ Don't miss it, don't even be late! ♫



Who could forget that line from the 1962 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical State Fair. Even though this musical took place at the Iowa State Fair, it could have happened anywhere. However, according to people to keep track of stats like this, the Iowa State Fair is the fourth largest (and best) and not the first. Texas once again is the first with Minnesota coming in second. That being said, State Fair  was a hit musical because lets face it - most of us love going to the fair, no matter what state we live in.

My memories of going to the Minnesota State Fair go back to when I was a very young boy. Actually, according to my Mother, my first trip to our state fair was when I was a fetus. Prior to having kids, my parents, along with my grandparents, would go to the fair every year. Grandma would pack a huge lunch and the four of them would spend the day there, and come home after the Grandstand show. When my sister and I were very young (walking age), our family would continue the annual pilgrimage to the fair.

Every year it was the same route. First the animal barns, then Machinery Hill, followed by various exhibits, and finally after hours and hours of unrelenting begging, my folks would take me to the Midway. The Midway to me was forbidden fruit - it was the "R" rated section of a "G" rated fair. It had everything that would interest a young boy. The rides were scary and spectacular, the fun house was neat and the Carney games were a must. However, it was all the risque exhibits and attractions which were off limits that were the most alluring. Fun and excitement, mixed in with a small amount of exotic danger and daring - that was the Midway, and I loved it.

Years went on, I got married and had kids. Going to the Minnesota State Fair continued to be an annual tradition. Everybody in the family had their favorite thing to do or see. As I grew into manhood, the alluring nature of the Midway had long since worn off . Call it Karma, but I was paid back for dragging my folks year after year into the Midway. Yes, I had grown to absolutely detest going in the Midway. However, both of my girls loved it, so I was stuck going in there until they were old enough to go by themselves.

The girls have grown up and left, my wife and I retired, yet we still do our annual trip to the state fair. After all these years, one part of the route has stayed the same - we start out in the animal barns. I have included a breakfast stop for a foot long hot dog, smothered in onions. Definitely the breakfast of champions. We sit more now, and don't stay as long. We go early in the morning and leave by mid-afternoon. "People watching" is always at a premium  and we usually come home with stories to share.

Yes, our state fair is the BEST state fair, I won't miss it, or even be late. I don't care if the Texas fair is bigger - to me, ours is very special. Every year, I could not think of a better way to wrap up the summer and get ready for fall. Each year, memories are made at the fair, and many of those are passed on from generation to generation.  The fair is part of our tradition, our legacy - it is after all, our great Minnesota Get Together. 




No comments:

Post a Comment