Friday, December 26, 2014

The Oath

 
 


"How long is the oath? Some think forever. I am one of them."



I have taken the oath three times. The first time when I went in the Navy in 1969, the next when I went back in the Naval Reserve in 1976, and the final time when I was commissioned in 1978. Every man and woman in the Armed Forces is very familiar with the oath. Most take it seriously. Today there are many who believe the oath we took has no expiration. I happen to be one of them. Once you take it, you are bound by it forever. Whether that was the intent or not is irrelevant to those who believe it is binding till you die.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for all who take the Armed Services oath. I have met some of the finest, and the bravest people in the world in the Armed Forces. That being said, there are a very few who have proven not up to the task, not to be up to the high standards. Or as the expression goes, there are a "few bad apples".

Once bad behavior is demonstrated, the military acts quickly to adjudicate. I have seen it in action. I have been a witness to non-judicial punishment handed out in Captain's Mast. As an Executive Officer, I presided over a Mast. I hated it. But it was necessary. To keep the service pure, proper discipline must be maintained. If not, the fine tradition of our Armed Forces will evaporate, and it will devolve into nothing more than a group of mercenaries.

I bring this story up for a reason. On Christmas Eve morning, someone posted a short article about police officers. How their lives matter also. I agreed with it, so I shared it. I did so as I not only believe in our "Thin Blue Line" of protection, I was also still numb from what happened to those two innocent cops in New York City. After sharing it, I was unexpectedly "blistered" on Facebook - twice. I was told I should not be defending the police. They are out of control. 

I have been pro-cop my whole life. I have known many police, worked with the state and local police while up in Maine on assignment, know our sheriff and am friends with the sheriff in the next county. Are there some police who step over the line? I am sure there are. Just like the "few bad apples" in the Armed Forces, police departments police themselves to ensure integrity within the force. If the police cannot police their own, the civilian review authorities will come in and help them do it.

Just so there is no mistaking in what I am saying, I will repeat my main premise. Our Armed Forces are run very well and I am proud of them. Are they perfect? No. Each service is made up of humans, some who are flawed. Are there problems from time to time? Yes. The same can be said for the police. They also are not perfect. However, they help those in need. At times they are called to go into dark places and confront those breaking the law. Often times they have no idea who or what awaits them. Their lives are always on the line. Each call could be their last.

This week between Christmas and New Year's Eve, as I reflect back on the past year, I am again thankful for ALL the men and women who protect us. This includes the Armed Forces who keep us safe from evil doers abroad, and the "Thin Blue Line" who protects (and serves) us at home.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment