Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Another failure of leadership

 
 


"A nice city, with the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards. However, don't take a wrong turn or you could end up in deep, deep trouble..."

I watched the news last night. Watched it until 11pm or so. I don't know why I was so fixated on what is happening in Baltimore. I like many of us, have seen that movie before. Maybe it was because I had the chance to move to Baltimore many years ago. To accept a tempting job with Lockheed Martin. They even had my wife, youngest daughter and I fly out to get a feel for the city. That was all it took. Deal off.

Baltimore really has tried to come back from the dead. Even though I did not move out there, I spend quite a bit of time there on travel. I worked at Ft. Meade while on military leave. While on business, I worked with the Middle River Plant of Lockheed Martin. Been to the Inner Harbor many times for drinks and dinner. Camden Yards was a nice addition to bolster the inner part of the city. But with all that, Baltimore still has a problem. Massive poverty living in the midst of new wealth.

And why is there still so much poverty? My opinion - it is a deep blue city suffering another failed education system. Graduation rates slightly over 50%. Lower for some minorities. Systemic poverty, failed education system, Euphorian Democrats running the place, and no hope for the future. Just shut up and keep voting for the donkeys.

The current mayor is really a gem. Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, an African American Democrat said the city needed to give people "the space to destroy things". After that really started to happen and she was taking severe criticism, she tried to walk it back by saying she was "misquoted". When Fox News played back the video tape to show the quote was accurate, one of the Mayor's aides used the "R" word for the news media. So the beat goes on. The Mayor continued to show an amazing lack of leadership and the burning continued on into the night.

A blue city, run by Democrats, policed by a minority police force. And we still end up with a race issue. Why Baltimore? No reason. Could have been one of dozens of cities. All have systemic and generational poverty fueled by the bigotry of low expectations caused by their education systems. Sorry Baltimore. I would like to give you some better news, but I can't.
So long as the recipe stays the same, the meal will always taste the same. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment