Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Switch






"This question or mystery of a 'switch' inside us has fascinated me for years. I don't think anyone really understands it..."



A classmate of mine from high school suffered a family tragedy back in December 1974. She did not live at home when it happened. The story goes that her younger brother was having some mental health issues. The father, a medical doctor, wanted to send him someplace to get some help. The boy did not want to. So on December 10, 1974, this young man took out a gun and shot everyone in the house, including himself.

This past week there was another family tragedy that happened out by Lake Minnetonka. A man took out a shotgun, and in the middle of the night, shot each one of his three children, his wife, and then turned the gun on himself. The man, who for years had been a protector, a defender, a provider, all of a sudden became his family's executioner. He killed the four people he loved most in the world. In other words, his "switch" had been flipped. And why? I doubt if anyone of this side of Heaven knows.

Also this past week, there was also a story about a 90 year old man that called the police about a murder. The geriatric man, took out a handgun and shot his 65 year old son. Regardless of the age of the father or the age of the son, it was a father taking his own son's life. A time long ago, this 65 year old son was a newborn, an infant, a toddler, a young boy to play catch with. He and his father might have been best buddies for years. And yet for some reason, the "switch" was tripped, and this man killed his son. A son for many years he might have loved more than life itself.

In all my years on this planet, this is one of the greatest mysteries I know of. I have never understood it, nor will I. I don't think there is one person alive who understands it. In reality, most of us would have a hard time killing someone we don't even know. I have read many police who have had to use deadly force are haunted by it for years. Some for the rest of their lives. Why? I believe it is because killing someone is a very unnatural act. And killing those we hold the most dear is even more unnatural.

I have no conclusions to make in this article. And trust me, I did not want this to sound like I was rambling on. But this is a subject I have pondered for years. Other than my classmate who lost her family in 1974, none of these tragedies have hit close to home. And I am thankful for that. 

That being said, I am drawn to stories like this. Not because I am morbid or a "sicko", it is because I wonder it this truly is the age old battle of good versus evil. The principalities of darkness attacking humanity.  So maybe the "switch" is really nothing more than evil overtaking and then overwhelming the good in our souls.

I suppose one day we will understand. But not on this side of Heaven. Until then, all we can do is wonder and question why.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment