Friday, May 12, 2023

Have we forgotten how to "adult"?





"Vivek Ramaswamy, who is running for President (I really like this guy), recently said we should raise the voting age to 25. Unless, young people take and pass a course on civics."


I look around over the American landscape, and see much has changed. Truthfully, much of what has changed is not good. I see just about every store or fast food joint we pass by, has a help wanted sign up. Why can't these places find the help they need? I see for the second year in a row, our armed forces have missed some recruiting goals. Why? Are we that short on people, or is many of the younger folk (not all, of course), don't want to grow up and be adults? Good question.

This is what life was like 58 years ago, when I was in high school. My folks told both myself and my sister, that when we graduated from high school, we had choices. 1) Get a job, and if you live at home, pay rent, or 2.) go to college or trade school, and live at home without paying rent. However, if you went to college or trade school, you were expected to work to help pay for tuition. Getting a job was no big deal for me while I was going to college - I was already working part time in high school. 

Kids in my 1967 graduating class were goal oriented. Purpose driven. Right after high school, when most were 17 or 18, we set out on our life path. Some went in the service (the draft was hot back then), some went to college or trade school, and some worked full time. I did not know anyone who wanted to take some time off, travel, and find his or her  "muse". Most were on a schedule. Get out of high school, get trained or educated, get married, buy a house, have kids, start living life.

Today, we have a whole lot of youngins who are lost and confused. Depression, anxiety, suicide, drifting, and many other ills which are endemic these days. I have seen this trend developing even before I retired from the Navy. I would talk to some of the young folks just entering the service as I was getting ready to leave. Some conversations were very awkward.  I really did not understand their world. It was so different from the world I grew up in. 

Today, in our upside down world, where black is white, right is wrong, and politicians lie to our faces 24 x 7, I guess I can understand why some of our young folk check out. Whereas in my generation, our futures stretched out as far as one could see. Today, our government schools are telling kids they have no future. The schools tell them their parents have ruined the planet, and we all have only a few years left before all hell breaks loose. So they check out. Drop out. Refuse to become an adult.

Vivek Ramaswamy, who is running for President (I really like this guy), recently said we should raise the voting age to 25. Unless, young people take and pass a course on civics. Then they could vote under the age of 25. Why would he suggest such a thing? Adulting. Many young folks under the age of 25 don't know enough to vote. They are not yet adults. Too brainwashed by the government school system. My feeling? Vivek has a great idea. 

No hate mail please! This is something I have wanted to address for some time now. I may be dead wrong, but this is the way I see the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment