Sunday, May 26, 2013

Grandma and her flag...

 
 



"For many in the greatest generation and before, Memorial Day will always be Decoration Day..."
 
 
My Grandma Ruth was born on May 31st. She was always very proud of that fact. She was very proud of that fact until 1968 when Congress took her holiday away from her. You see, my grandma was born on the day when Decoration Day (now Memorial Day) was suppose to be on. She was so proud, that every May 31st, she would wear a large red, while and blue flag pin. Then she would insist on having her picture taken on Victory Memorial Drive.
 
If my Grandma was still living, she would be well over 100 years old. My memories of her as a grandma are very special. She was loving, fun and a great cook. She and Grandpa Walt had 7 grandchildren and they both did a very good job in spoiling all of us. Like many of her generation, my grandmother did not have a lot of schooling - however she had enough to know how special our flag was. The fact that she was born on a national holiday was a blessing to her almost too good to be true.
 
My grandmother always wore her flag pin on special occasions. Not just Memorial Day, but Christmas, birthdays, you name it. In early 1970 when I was leaving to serve on Okinawa, my grandmother wanted to come to the airport to see me off. Yes, on her coat was her flag pin. It was a special time for her, and she wanted me to see that the flag pin was on her coat. At the top of this post you can see a picture of grandma with me at the airport - flag pin and all.
 
It does my heart good to remember my grandma and that flag pin. In a time when so many besmirch our flag or do not give it the reverence it deserves, my grandma always treated it as if it meant something very special. After grandma passed, the flag pin ended up with my mother. When my mother passes, I will make sure the pin stays with the family - either with myself, my sister, or one of my cousins.
 
Every Memorial Day, I think of my grandma. It really does not matter if the day is recognized on May 31st,or on a three day weekend. The meaning of the day stays the same. Memorial Day means the flag pin my grandmother always wore with pride; it means the time to celebrate with family; but mostly it means the time we remember those who should be celebrating with us but cannot. They cannot because they gave us the ultimate gift - the gift of freedom. As with any gift, this one came with a price - and we will never forget, nor take for granted the price which was paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment