Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Train wreck coming, and well ahead of schedule

 
 


"This thing right now has the potential to be the screw up of all time..."
 


Many years ago, I learned a very valuable lesson. I was given an assignment to do at work. I did it the best I thought I could and then sent it to the customer. The next day, my boss asked me if the customer "signed off" on the project which was assigned to me. I told him I did not know - it was dropped off on his desk. My boss looked at me and said, "Do you mean to tell me you just threw it over the wall?" I responded once again, it was on the customer's desk. "Not good enough. You need to cradle these things to completion - until the ink is drying on the paper. Never assume - the word 'assume' is a word which means you have made an ass out of me."
 
My boss was right. I finished a project and was then on to the next big thing. However, I had not made sure the first project had been "buttoned up". Turns out my boss was right. My project sat on the customer's desk for almost a week - a week we did not have to lose.
 
Our new health program, ObamaCare reminds me so much of how not to start or finish a project. First off, as most can remember, the country was divided sharply on this plan. Rather than compromise with the fifty percent who thought screwing with our health care was a goofy idea, the Administration rammed it down our throats, and hard. It went through Congress so fast, nobody knew what was in it. Now we have it, it is the law of the land, and the true colors are starting to show through.
 
The cost on this thing is going to be staggering. First, a bit of history. Obama told a joint-session of Congress in September 2009 the following whopper: “I will not sign it if it adds one dime to the deficit, now or in the future, period.” Now that many have had the chance to dissect this lightly read bill, here is what the GAO has found out - it will add $6.2T to our debt. By the way, the GAO is not a right wing organization.

The latest snafu happened late yesterday afternoon. The employer mandate, a cornerstone for this mess, was suppose to start in 2014. Because of numerous complaints by the business community saying that this thing will be a job killer, the Administration has decided to postpone the implementation until 2015 - right after the mid-term elections.

In April 2013, Forbes has this to say about the train wreck:

"Moreover, workers who do not receive employer provided coverage are eligible to purchase their health insurance on the state Exchanges with extensive taxpayer subsidies to help cover the cost.  Indeed, in the Exchanges, low and moderate income workers can even get subsidies covering their out-of-pocket expenses.   Employers can terminate their employee coverage, give their workers a raise with part of the savings, and let the taxpayers bear the cost of subsidizing their coverage in the Exchanges.  Former CBO Director Douglas Holtz-Eakin estimated in a study for the American Action Forum that more than 40 million workers would lose their employer coverage due to these perverse incentives.  It’s going to be even worse than that, when all of the cost increasing impacts of Obamacare are realized."

I guess if our country still had a real press corps, we would have known about this long ago. It took a Max Baucus, a Democrat who voted for this monstrosity, to nail it when he said - "I just see a huge train wreck coming down." If you think that is bad, you should see what the Republicans are saying about how ObamaCare is being implemented.

So there you have it folks. The project has been flipped over the wall. The Administration is onto the next big thing - carbon tax and immigration. Who cares if the new health care law is going to have growing pains? Who cares if it will cost a ton more than projected? Barry will just blame that on the Republicans. My remedy for surviving this "thing" called health reform is simple - don't get sick. You won't be able to afford the path to getting well.

No comments:

Post a Comment