Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Climate Change?

 
 



"Al Gore, where are you brother, when we really need you?"
 
 
 
 
You will have to excuse my typos in this article. As with many days this summer, I am having trouble waking up. I go to bed with the windows wide open, and the cool, almost autumn like breeze comes in the bedroom. Most humans sleep very deep and very well in conditions like that.

Last year we had an historic drought. The corn crop was a mess in most of the country. For some reason, Minnesota was spared. Our farmers had a good crop with very good prices. This year the corn crop nation wide is even better. Everywhere we look when we are driving around the corn is outstanding. So good in fact, the nation will have a bumper crop. The good news - we can continue to feed the world as well as ourselves. The bad news for farmers - corn prices will be the lowest since 2010.

I am what is referred to by green eggheads as a "flat earther". I ignore the reality of "climate change". To that charge I respond, "guilty as charged". I do believe in changing weather - I have seen it my entire life. Climate change however, is a different story.

We have been told for decades now the polar ice caps are melting. This is a very bad thing for many different reasons. The worst effect of having the ice caps melt is our coastal cities will end up under water. Last year, I took my wife down to Pensacola to visit where I was stationed in 1969. I spent quite a bit of time on Pensacola Beach when I was in the Navy. My wife and I walked on the same beach I spent so much time on decades ago. The water came up on shore to the same spot it did in 1969. Not an inch more, not an inch less.

In addition, when I was stationed in Pensacola the first time, Hurricane Camille came a knocking. On August 17, 1969, this monster storm hit the gulf coast just to the west of Pensacola. It was a Category 5 storm (very rare) and remains today the only recorded storm outside of the Pacific to have sustained winds of over 190 miles per hour at landfall. We have had strong storms since, but not quite a vicious as Camille. If Al Gore's movie (An Inconvenient Truth) had been true, storms like these would have been the norm by now.
 
I will say this to our President. Many of us understand your plan of Cap and Trade is simply a ruse to further transform our economy into something less spectacular. The fuels we are burning keep getting cleaner every year. Our crops are doing fine. Our oceans are not rising. The polar bears are not dying. Our big blue marble is a pretty tough place. It has been hit with meteors, asteroids, comets, and even a small planet when our moon was formed. This world was created for us to live on. We are doing fine, thank you.
 
So is there anything at all to climate change? Yes there is. It has made Al Gore a very rich man indeed!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment