Friday, August 23, 2013

My (Selective) Outrage!

 
 


"Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes I get so mad, I could just spit!"
 
 
I have two neighbor who live close by. One neighbor (John) is a good guy. Our kids would play together, we worked at the same place, and our wives are good friends. The other neighbor (Joe), I have nothing in common with. As far as I am concerned, if he moved out tomorrow, all the better.
 
I am a stickler for following the cities rules, especially in how high your grass may become. If it is over 6", the city will come out, cut your grass, and then charge you for it. I am always measuring my grass as well as John's and Joe's. Sometimes when I measure John's, it is over 6". That is okay though, as he is still working and is very busy. When I measure Joe's and it is over 6", I call the city immediately to report him.
 
One day Joe confronted me. He asked why I always report him and not John. I of course, denied it. He then said to me, "It is as if you use a different measuring stick for each of us."
 
This little made up parable exemplifies how we act in our country today. For example, consider the following:
  • The unemployment rate has been abysmal for Obama's entire presidency. In particular, the black unemployment rate is only 12.6% in August 2013 (that is suppose to be good news).  However, for black teens, it is over 40%. If we had a Republican President, the Reverend Al would have marches scheduled all over the country to protest this injustice.
  • Trayvon Martin was killed in an very unfortunate series of events by a "white Hispanic" man. Our President, as well as Reverend Al, were outraged by the civil rights violation of a white person killing a black person. In the past week, we had a young white man from Australia killed by some black teens "just because they were bored", and a white World War II vet beaten to death by two black teens. The "roar" we heard after the Trayvon killing has been replaced by the silence on these two unjust murders.
  • During the last campaign, Sandra Flock went before Congress and said it would be "wrong" for her not to receive $15/month to help pay for birth control pills. When some Republicans gave "push back" on this issue, it became known as the "Republican War on Women". San Diego Mayor Bob Filner has perpetrated every misdeed short of rape on many women who work for him. The National Organization of Women, as well as the Democratic Party (except for a very few), have been silent on Mayor Filner.
  • In his first two years as President, the price of gas under G.W. Bush went up 7%. When gas was suppose to hit $3/gal, the press told us it would "kill the economy". On the other hand, under Obama, the price of gas went up 67% his first two years as President. It is still over $4/gal in parts of the country. The outrage from the press? Gone.
As we know, these are but a few of the many, many examples of our selective outrage. Hypocrisy is not even an adequate word to use anymore - these transcend hypocrisy. As far as I am concerned, I continue to be outraged at what should merit outrage. I am just as hard on both sides when they step off the curb. Biased outrage, is nothing more than partisan bluster.





No comments:

Post a Comment