Sunday, February 16, 2014

Universal Church or Universalism?

 
 

 
"I believe the church is at its best when it collaborates with other Bible believing churches..."
 


I have addressed this issue before. I know that not all agree with me on this one. However, it is something I feel strongly about. I think when Bible believing churches compete against each other, they are at their worst. By the same token, I believe when Bible believing churches work with each other, to collaborate in mission, they are at their best.
 
I am a believer in the Universal Church. That is not a religion, not a sect. It is the entire Body of Christ acting as His church. However, as good as the Universal Church is, it is not immune from the intrusion of pride. Once that happens, collaboration often times dissolves into competition between churches. Nothing good ever results from that.
 
Christians who identify with the Universal Church are sometimes mistaken for Universalists. Not the same at all. I have not studied Universalism in depth, so I will leave the nuances for others. I do know this much - Universalists believe in a relationship between God and man which is not defined in the Bible. Some have even equated it to more of a Hindu type belief than Christian. The Universal Church on the other hand, is steeped in the Word of God. No more, no less.
 
Like many of us, I have been on the receiving end of church competition. Sometimes, it goes beyond competition and borders on antipathy. I believe that to be sinful. The only time one should recruit or proselytize within the church is when a church has strayed from its Biblical teachings. Other than that, we are all on the same team. Period.

To me, the Great Commission as written in Matthew 28, verse 19 is very specific:

" Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..." 

I believe this is verse addresses the need to spread the Word to the unchurched. Once a church is established, that church needs to be prayed for by fellow believers. And where it makes sense, that church should be collaborated with. So long as the teachings stay true to the Word, the Universal Church will only get stronger this way. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment