Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Do I like Mike?

 
 


"I am trying. I am really trying. Lord only knows how much I am trying..."



I had my first exchange with Mike McFadden prior to attending the Rochester convention. He was a guest speaker at our BPOU meeting. He came in dressed casual, not in a suit. I liked that. During the Q+A, the question I asked him was simple - would he abide by the endorsement process. His answer was somewhat vexing to me. He said he was "in it to win it". As much as he would like to win the endorsement, if he did not receive it, it was on to the primary. I did not like that answer at all.

There were others at the BPOU who had some problems with Mike. To be specific, the answer he had previously given on a Second Amendment question. Once he sensed the blowback he was getting from many of the Tea Party faithful, he did his level best to walk that answer back. However, the damage (for many), had already been done. Once he gets to Washington, would he "drink the bathwater" like so many others have? Would he forget his Second Amendment pledge to us? Questions, questions, questions...

Down in Rochester, I had made my choice on who to vote for. It was not Mike. Not that I disliked him, I really felt Chris Dahlberg would have made a stronger candidate against Franken. Chris is a conservative, a vet and very strong in the 8th District. Mike on the other hand, was none of these. However, Mike does have money. Also on the plus side for Mike, I have never seen anyone work harder than he did as the number of ballots for endorsement increased. After a long and almost endless day, we adjourned on Friday without having a clear winner between Mike and Chris.

Well as we all know, the next morning, Mike finally prevailed and he received the party's endorsement. I made a vow long before the CD6 or Rochester conventions that I would support endorsed candidates. And I will. What I find troublesome however, is as much as Mike wants this office, his commercials are tepid at best. Al Franken's commercials on the other hand, make him look like a Senator. I would have thought with Mike's money, he could have hired a top notch "K" Street firm to make him "look like the man". Instead we get commercials about how cheap he his and some Pop Warner kid hitting him in the jewels.

I believe the primary is just going to be an exercise for Mike. Hardly anyone expects Jim Abeler to unseat Mike on August 12th. So what happens on August 13th? Does Mike get down to business? Does Jim Abeler support him? Is the party totally united behind Mike?Unlike what happened with Amy Klobuchar, do we think this seat is worth fighting for? Are we going to run a smart and well funded campaign?

I will continue to support Mike after the primary. I may have to swallow hard, but I will do it. What I hope is that Mike will start looking and acting more like Senator McFadden, and less like CEO McFadden who is on leave from his company.

No comments:

Post a Comment