Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Onward and upward!

 
 


"The endorsements have now been confirmed. Our journey forward is onward and upward!"



All I can say is this - thank goodness this primary is over! Not a fan of it since the get-go, I thought it was a huge waste of time and money. However, it did one thing - it reconfirmed the endorsing process. Unlike what happened in the DFL four years ago, our primary proved the legitimacy of our endorsements. I was proud to have been a delegate. I did my homework and vetted as many candidates as I could. I thought we picked the best of the best to represent us. Now that the primary is over, I have no hard feelings for anyone who ran. Onward and upward!

What were some lessons learned, if any from this August 12th exercise?
  • Money - Money did not buy votes this year. In 2010, the Dayton camp used a significant amount of wealth to win the DFL primary. This year, Matt Entinza used some of his wife's wealth to unseat Rebecca Otto - it did not work. Scott Honour bought huge amounts of air time for commercials - he came in fourth.
  • 11th Commandment -  For the most part, the Republicans followed Reagan's all important 11th commandment. It was a clean race with good ideas brought forward and discussed. I was pleased that powder was kept dry, and for the most part, sights were set on the Democrats.
  • Hurtful Words - Something we all learned as kids is words can hurt. Don't say things that you will regret later. Words can heal and well as hurt. One of my former managers would often say, "Large minds discuss ideas, small minds discuss people". Even when engaging the Democrats, we need to remember they are fellow citizens with different ideas. It is the ideas we need to engage.
Today, I celebrate with the victors and console those who fell short. I have met some very fine and capable people this year involved in various campaigns. Our bench strength is strong, and that spells hope for our future. Our eyes remain on the prize - and that prize is a better Minnesota and a safer and stronger America. All are welcomed to join in this quest. All are needed to prevail. Onward and upward folks. The journey ahead will be daunting, but will be worth it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment