Friday, April 10, 2020

The wrath of God?







"I am reminded of that old saying - 'We plan, God laughs'. Yes, every now and again I think mankind needs a reminder that the Creator is in charge - not the creation."



Every now and again, I come across an article or a post saying that this COVID - 19 virus is God punishing us. Could it be? Maybe. Or maybe not. I mean, it is not like we don't deserve some kind of punishment after the besmirching we have done to the Almighty, as well as His Holy name. And the fact we have killed millions of His unborn children is in many eyes, unforgivable. But I think I might have another angle to this event.

First off, is God involved? Sure is. He knew about this virus long before it was invented, He knows about it now, and He knows how it will end. For those who believe, that is an immutable fact. By the way - for those who do not believe, it is still an immutable fact. So then, why did our God of mercy, allow this virus to cause so much misery? 

I think it could have been a teaching moment. Teaching us to practice the greatest commandment. That commandment which Jesus gave us during this week, 2,000 years ago. We are to love each other as we love ourselves. What this virus has done, is confirm the interdependence we have on each other. How to care for each other, we must first love each other enough, to protect each other. I know it is hard to understand, but distancing ourselves from each other, actually might bring us closer together. 

Before we come out of this, I believe we will also be tested. Tested to see if we can practice what is taught in Matthew 25:40. There will be those who will have lost almost everything. Those who might in need of the most basic of things. This is the time to be our brother's (and sister's) keeper. It is the time for us to care for the least of us, both near and far. 

Finally, I believe this might have been a reminder, sent to all of us, from God. He is in control - not us. I am somewhat bemused and amused when some pundit on the news talks about our world just a few weeks ago. We were rolling along, somewhat carefree, living the good life. Retirement accounts through the roof, employment at an all time high, inflation very low, and stores stocked to the gills. Then the virus came. And everything went upside down. Plans shattered, dreams dashed, and happiness gone. I am reminded of that old saying - "We plan, God laughs". Yes, every now and again, I think mankind needs a reminder that the Creator is in charge - not the creation.

Do I think we are going to pull out of this? I do believe that, with the help of God. Do I think this will bring us closer to God? I can only pray that it will. Is this the wrath of God? I don't think so. Is this God wanting to be more involved in our lives? That I do believe. He is always knocking at the door to our hearts. Maybe this time, He was knocking a bit louder. 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment