Tuesday, August 2, 2022

A sojourner's spirit






"New trails and new adventures await us..."



What is it about so many Americans? Why do so many of us get wanderlust, year after year? Why do more and more of us go on cruises? Take long road trips? Visit foreign lands? It is because many of us are born with a sojourner spirit. How do I know? I have been told that when I was working overseas. One of the British engineers I worked with at Royal Ordnance in the Midlands of England, took his "holidays" over in "the states". One day, I asked him why he did that. After all, the UK is a beautiful place, steeped in rich history. His answer was most revealing.

"You Yanks don't realize just how good you have it. You have almost unlimited roads to travel on, going from state to state, hills to valleys, climate to climate. Over here, you don't have to drive very far before you run into ocean. That is the price we pay for living on an island." I was fascinated to hear his perspective. He continued, "I particularly like it when I get to the western states. Sometimes, I can drive for hours, with only seeing a handful of other people. Lots of beautiful landscape, and very little population."

My wife and I have always liked to travel. My parents loved it even more than we do. My wife's parents also did their share of traveling, before health issues set in. Our kids also seem to have it in their blood.

I did however, go through a short period after I retired, where I did not care to travel. I did quite a bit for my job(s), so the thought of being at home for a while, was very alluring. But that soon passed, and the travel bug once again bit me.

Yesterday, after being married for almost 50 years, and done our share of traveling, we decided to "kick it up a notch". We bought our first travel trailer. Was it for us? Yes, but we bought it with the grandkids in mind. It has bunkbeds in the rear, which have "kid" written all over them. We want to be able to take our grandies on some adventures. See some new things. Experience some new things. In other words, make some memories.

Earlier this summer, we took our youngest daughter up to the north shore as a birthday present and graduation present. Even though we have all been there before, we had a blast. No matter how many times we go up there, something new and exciting is always discovered. Was it worth it? Absolutely.

New trails and new adventures await us with our new travel trailer. This year will be mostly getting used to it (in the driveway), and then doing some nearby parks with have hookups. Next year however, get ready! As my British friend said - "You Yanks don't know just how lucky you are." Amen to that sir - amen to that. 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment