Friday, August 12, 2022

Game on, the gloves come off




"Politics and the fair? Go together like peanut butter and jelly. Or a footlong hot dog and Sweet Martha's cookies. Is there anything better than fair food? People watching. That might be a tie for first place."  



Can you smell it? I almost can. The smell of food cooked in gallons of grease and "other" things. Yes, I am talking about the great Minnesota get together! Maybe at long last a normal fair this year. Last year was close, but no cigar. Other than the fact the fair cannot hire enough cops to keep everyone safe, this year's fair should be much closer to normal. So why bring this up? Because it also kicks off our political season - in earnest. 

I remember one of the oddest things I saw at the fair last year was the My Pillow exhibit. Why was it odd? My Pillow, owned and operated by one of the most conservatives Minnesotans (Mike Lundell), is right next to Amy Klobuchar's stand. So close Mike and Amy could almost reach out and hold hands (figure the odds on that one!).

This year, the big question going through many minds is this - with the anticipated red wave, which will sweep over the nation, allow this oddball state of Minnesota to stay blue? Or will some of the sanity contained in this red wave also affect Minnesota? I have very little hope MN will turn red this year.

I do know the DFL is going to make abortion the mainstay of their battle stand. MN GOP on the other hand, will talk about taxes, public safety (which we have very little of right now), inflation and gas prices. Should set up some interesting debates.

In past years, I have spent some time manning political booths at the fair. Sometimes boring, often times fun. Met some interesting folks, and heard some interesting stories. Did I ever get tired of being at our State Fair? Not hardly. It is one of my happy places. This year however, no fair duty for me. That is up to the younger folk now. I will go on Military Day with my bride, and we will eat, drink and be merry.

I have mixed feelings every year at our state fair. Good, really good feelings as "our state fair is the best state fair". Bad feelings, as once it is over, Labor Day is also over. School starts soon after, and summer is ready to become a memory. Old man winter is waiting right around the corner, to once again turn Minnesota into Siberia.

Politics and the fair? Go together like peanut butter and jelly. Or a footlong hot dog and Sweet Martha's cookies. Is there anything better than fair food? People watching. That might be a tie for first place.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment