Sunday, December 16, 2012

Stars in the Crown

 
 


"And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars."

Revelation 12:1
 
 
When my Mother-in-law was alive, her favorite expression when she wanted you to do something nice she would say, "please do it, you will get another star in your crown". Last Thursday, I once again thought about "stars in the crown" when we attended the Christmas party held at my Mother's care center.

It was a wonderful event. It was not only for the residents, but also their families. All the ladies had their hair done and were dressed as festive as their current wardrobe allowed. In the six months my Mother has lived there, I have never seen so many families visit at one time. All had families there for this most festive of occasions - all but one lady.

She sat at our table with three other residents and families. Some residents had not only children, but grandchildren and great grandchildren as well. There were hot snacks, punch and coffee and live music. One of the staff saw the lady with no family was sitting by herself. She pulled up a chair and sat next to her. She talked to her and then got up to get her a plate of food. Everything was going fine until the man playing the music decided to play "Blue Christmas". The lady with no family stopped eating, put her head down and started to weep. The staff person put her arm around her, hugged her and held her tight, as if she was her own mother. Such a small act of kindness, but what a huge impact. The weeping stopped and she again could enjoy the party. Stars in the crown.

The next day I thought about the party. I thought about the small act of kindness that that meant so much to just one person. It let me reflect on my friend Paul from many years ago. He had a passion for youth development. His motto each day, every day was to make a positive influence in someone's life. Usually small, sometimes the impact was bigger than small. A man of faith, he felt it important that when we touch someone's life, it is a good touch with a positive effect. Sometimes a positive effect can be a small as a kind word, a harsh word left unspoken, or just a smile. Other times, it is amelioration of suffering by offering food, a hot meal or shelter. Each day, every day, a positive influence. Stars in the crown.

One of the gifts we have been given is healing. As we go though life, we are given uncounted opportunities to help, to heal. Every year's end I reflect of what I have done and left undone. I think of the opportunities I have let slip by. To help, to heal, but for many reasons, I did not.  I will redouble by resolve to do better in the upcoming year. I think about love, what the Master taught us about love, and how important it is for all of us.

Opportunities will continue to reveal themselves in the upcoming year. My goal, my prayer is that where I have turned a blind eye in the past, I am able to see in the future. A gift of the highest order is the gift of letting us help, of letting us give. By taking advantage of that gift is where we will earn stars in our crowns. Of this I am most certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment