Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Wanna Fight?

 
 


"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"


Groucho Marks

 
When I was a lad, my parents told me over and over again some very sage advice. "If you go looking for trouble, it will not take you long to find it". True words. I passed that advice on to my kids as they were growing up. I also added what I learned as a negotiator - "You will catch more bees with honey than vinegar". That worked okay for me as for the most part, I stayed out of aggressive conflicts with others.
 
Our current leader however, seems bent on engaging in battle. I have never seen a president so truculent, so aggressive. Watching his presser yesterday was jaw dropping. He taunted, threatened and argued. He is going to poke the American people in the eye once again by going around Congress on gun control. He continues to show his disdain for our Constitution as he is trying to transform the presidency into a monarchy.
 
Besides gun control, the most galling thing he is doing (or not doing) is the debt limit issue. Rather than admitting this is a huge problem for the country, he is blaming Congress for spending the money. Not the Senate for NEVER passing a budget, just Congress. If I was the Speaker, I would agree with him and not allocate one more dime until we had a BALANCED BUDGET Amendment  (BBA) to the Constitution. Obama hates having the debt limit. Lets agree with him it is not necessary as long as we have a BBA with teeth. The only thing he is doing on the debt limit is threatening seniors and vets by withholding their earned checks. This is leadership?
 
By the way, what ever happened to the Social Security "lock box" we heard about for years. If we have a lock box, why are the Social Security checks in danger? Could it be the entire lock box story be a myth? That would have been a great question at the presser yesterday.
 
Our pugilistic President continues to itch for a fight. He wants a fight with the Republicans in Congress, the NRA, the banks, the Chamber of Commerce, the TEA Party and probably many others yet unknown. At one time, the President of the United States was the president of ALL the people. That seems to have changed in 2009.
 
So as we sail into 2013, I am reminded of that old cigarette commercial. Someone with a black eye would say,  "I would rather fight than switch". I can see our President with a black eye saying something not very similar yet with the same result. "My way or the highway". And that folks, is why NOTHING meaningful gets done these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment