Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I would like my money's worth please!

 
 
 


"A penny saved is a penny earned..."
 
For those who are sensitive, please cover your ears. I am about to speak a form of heresy. It is nothing against anyone's faith - that is, unless you worship at the alter of the Department of Education. I have thought about this for a while, and finally have the guts to put pen to paper. To a large degree, education is a waste of time, a huge waste of money.
 
Before you either de-friend me or write me a nasty e-mail, let me finish. In our current system, we are wasting boatloads of money. This money we waste on education could be spent on roads, bridges, help for the poor, you name it. We spend hundreds of thousands in Minneapolis alone on kids who either don't want to learn, or are just itching to drop out.  Each year, we continue to spend over $20k on students who just don't care. Well, I care. I am helping to pay the freight.
 
In the world of business, once money is poured into a venture, progress is constantly tracked. Check points are set up, milestones established and periodic reviews are held. If the venture is turning into a "dog" it is either fixed by major corporate surgery, or is "deep sixed". No company who wants to stay in business would not continue to invest in something which does not yield positive results.
 
My solution to this problem is very simple. Private schools with sterling graduation rates and high test scores have shown us time and time again they can do it by spending less than $15k per student. I would put every school in Minnesota on notice - you have only $15k per student to spend, and graduation rates need to be at least 90%. Failure to do so will result in the school be de-certified. The parents can then enroll their kids in a private school.
 
I know to many this sounds harsh. However, it is the only way to fix a very broken system. This is a huge chunk of our state budget every year, and the results are abysmal. Do I want kids educated? Absolutely! But I want it done the right way. School choice is a great way to start. No more pouring our money down a rat hole. Schools - perform with an affordable budget, or go away. Times a wasting, and time is money. Our young people are way too important to be pawns in this Education Minnesota sink hole. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment