Sunday, December 29, 2013

Just passing through...

 
 

 
"Life, so they say
is but a game and
we let it slip away"
 
We May Never Pass This Way Again
Seals and Croft
 
 
 
Evangelist Billy Graham has been quoted as saying that Heaven is his real home. And I will put my paraphrase in for the rest - while on Earth he, like the rest of us, are just passing through. Dr. Graham is very right on his perspective. Our time on this Earth is measured and limited. We don't know how long we will be here before we are called home. What we do here between the time of our birth and the hour of our death is what really matters.

I believe that when we are called home, there will be an accounting of our lives. What kind of person we were, what kind of son or daughter, what kind of spouse, what kind of parent. What we did for the least of us. Of course the main question will be if we accepted Christ as Lord.

The Bible is an excellent road map on how to live our lives in a Godly fashion. However, there is one part in the Bible, which in my opinion, stands out from the rest. It is the Great Commission contained in Matthew 28: 16-20.

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

What does this mean? Are we to stand on street corners and proclaim the Gospel? Possibly. However, I feel living a Godly life is the best message. Practicing love, grace, forgiveness, and mercy on a daily basis. Never being afraid to proclaim the name of Jesus or tell His story. My belief is this - without being religious or practicing religiosity, true faith can be seen as clearly in us as a shining city on a hill.

Before you think I might be getting a bit too preachy, let me say this - I don't practice this as I should. I want to, I aspire to, but many times I fall short. Not one for New Year resolutions, I will make this one. In 2014, with the help of God, I will do better. I want the remaining days of my journey here to matter - to matter for the Kingdom. That will be the path I try to stay on this next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment