Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Homecoming






"If you believe Heaven is your final home, this story is for you..."



This past week we went to a funeral of a former neighbor of my wife when she was growing up. I had met this lady a few times over the years, but did not know her very well. I basically went to support my wife, as I knew she would not know too many people. The funeral was held in a beautiful church in the western part of the metro. I also did not think I would know many people. Turns out, I was mostly right.

Once the service started, it was a typical Lutheran funeral. I know - at my age I have been to many of them. Then it changed. The granddaughter of the woman who passed came up front to describe her relationship with her grandma - her best friend. For the next ten minutes, this young lady used nothing but words to paint the most vivid picture of this woman. Yes, there were tears. And yes, there were stories. However at the end of the ten minutes, I felt like I knew this woman my entire life. It was simply wonderful.

Next, the woman's daughter got up and did the same thing. Only from a daughter's perspective. Her stories were about her Mother's strong faith, and how she lived it. Oh, she loved a good time. And a good party. But she always remembered who was in charge. She knew how important it was to live her life for the Lord. And how to teach her children to do so also. At the end of her ten minutes, this daughter looked at the people in the church and simply said, "To God goes the glory". And then sat down. 

When the pastor began her homily, she read a poem called "The Homecoming". It was simply riveting. The pastor explained what the poem was really about. Death it seems, is looked upon differently in Heaven than it is here. On Earth death is sadness. It is permanent separation. For many, it is simply the end.

In Heaven, death is joyous. It is a homecoming. Another person has come home to live in eternity. To live forever with the Holy Father as well as the saints who have gone on before. In Heaven, death marks the beginning of a celebration without end.

When we left, my wife and I talked about the service most of the way home. It was impactful to say the least. Of all the funerals I have been to, this one was the most uplifting. It was wonderful. 

Right before we started our journey home, my wife went up to the daughter and told her how wonderful, how meaningful the service was. The daughter looked at my wife, thanked her for coming, and said the same thing she said in the service - "To God goes the glory". Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment