Monday, October 9, 2017

Men of honor, men of shame...





"Do the right thing. Do it not only for yourself, but for your family, your friends, your community, your organization, your country."



When I was a young boy growing up, my dad was my role model as well as mentor. What I did not realize back then but realize now, I was patterning my behavior by watching how my dad acted.  I was lucky - my dad was a man of honor. Not a perfect man, but a very good man indeed.

My dad was very instructive on how to treat a woman. All women and girls he would tell me, are worthy of respect and kindness. One day I remember asking him if that also included the girls which where not pretty. My dad looked at me and said, "All women are beautiful. Some are just a little more so than others." He was right about that, and he was right about treating a woman with respect. Always hold a door open, let ladies pass first, and pull their chair for them in a restaurant. In short, my dad was teaching me modern day chivalry. 

When my dad passed, I wrote and read my dad's eulogy at his funeral. My dad was a man of honor. I have never met anyone who treated people the way my dad did. He absolutely loved people. He treated each one with respect. He had a wonderful sense of humor, fully understood the history of this country, and most importantly, understood the meaning of honor.

I believe what made this country honorable during its founding were the actions of honorable men. Not shameful men - honorable men. I know, I know. Some of the Left will remind us some Founders were slave owners. Mostly the ones who owned farms. I cannot condone that, but I will say this just like I said about my dad at his funeral. Some of the Founders were not perfect men, but very good men indeed.

However, there is a big difference between being imperfect and being shameful. The actions of some today, are indeed shameful. Especially some in the media or entertainment world. The actions of some of our politicians are also shameful. The actions of some in the business community are shameful. The actions of some in our civil rights community are shameful.  I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

I remember learning in the Navy that being honorable is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking. Do the right thing. Do it not only for yourself, but for your family, your friends, your community, your organization, your country. We have had enough shameful things done in this country to last for decades. Time to restore honor once again.




2 comments:

  1. An inside view of a man with no "honor"

    A cadre of White House insiders and close associates of 45 have painted a grim picture of an increasingly volatile 45, who in the past few weeks has found himself at the center of near-constant battles that have frequently spilled out into the public.

    45's most recent feuds, social-media spats, and public wars of words have pitted the president against critics including a handful from his own party. And the arguments have become increasingly bitter, a reflection of a volatile and isolated 45, people interviewed by The Washington Post said in a report published Monday night.

    One person close to Trump likened the president to a "pressure cooker," according to The Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The focus on Corker's height is the latest example of the fact that the President of the United States name-calls like your average fifth-grade bully. As he demonstrated throughout the 2016 campaign, this is 45's default approach to politics -- and life. He has a unique gift to zero in on people's weaknesses and then pick at them relentlessly.

    ReplyDelete