Thursday, October 5, 2017

The theory of the "one off"





"We will continue to muddle through the paucity of evidence. We will find out if the shooter was truly a 'one off' or part of something much more sinister. Stay tuned citizens - this is far from over." 


After I retired, and finished my somewhat short church experience, I decided to take one more "trip around the block". After working at Sperry Univac, Control Data, United Defense, and IBM, I threw my resume out on the internet. It only took a week, and I received a call from Ecolab in St. Paul. They thought I was exactly what they were looking for. Why? My IBM experience. In reality? The weight of my resume far outweighed the experience I held.

I any event, they hired me. The VP of procurement wanted me to work on the co-sourcing agreements with the Indian firms they were sourcing with. But in my spare time, they wanted me to work on "one off" procurement actions which had proved problematic for the company. Compared to what I worked on at IBM, these "one items" were a walk in the park. Just in case you are wondering what a "one off" is, it is something out of the ordinary. 

Why do I bring this up? The shooting in Las Vegas might have been done by a "one off" shooter. Someone out of the ordinary. Either that or he was "ordinary" and maybe had some help. So what if he was a "one off"? Then we are in a whole new territory. Thus, if this was a "one off" event, we have a lot to learn. And for the next killer who mimics this killing, he or she will not considered to be a "one off". He or she will be a copycat killer.

If this guy had been a disgruntled former Special Forces Operator, this entire event might have been looked at as something other than a "one off". But this was an out of shape senior citizen with no gun training that we know about. So, we are stuck in the vast wasteland known as "I have no idea". 

We will continue to muddle through the paucity of evidence. We will find out if the shooter was truly a "one off" or part of something much more sinister. Stay tuned citizens - this is far from over. 


1 comment: