Thursday, February 8, 2024

"You earned it, you keep it" Act






"Anyhow, welcome to reality Congresswoman. Even though I disagree with you on most things, I strongly agree with you on this topic. ANYTHING I can do to help you get this passed, I will join you. But that is the water's edge. Anything else you propose, you are on your own." 



Could someone please pinch me? I think I might still be dreaming. Angie Craig, a stalwart Democrat, is proposing legislation which would eliminate federal tax on Social Security. A Democrat from Minnesota, who by her nature, loves to tax everything up to and including your daily eliminations, wants to free seniors from paying Social Security. WOW!

It is called the You earned it, you keep it Act. Craig introduced it at the end of January. I did watch her presser on YouTube where she introed it. I must say, besides being shocked, I was a bit disappointed. Why? Getting state Social Security tax off of our Minnesota seniors has always been a MNGOP thing. I would have thought to tackle the federal tax portion Social Security would have been a national GOP thing. I guess I was wrong.

We first started paying Social Security federal taxes in 1984. I know, I know - during Reagan's term. I wish the Gipper would have vetoed that legislation. In any event, this Craig legislation would be a good thing - a very good thing for seniors who are just hanging on right now. 

During Craig's presser, a retired teacher was asked what this meant to her. She said this would amount to a couple of grand more for her and her retired husband. After she told Craig how tight things were in her family, Craig smiled and said, "You earned it, you should be able to keep it."

I have said for a long time now, taxation of Social Security should NOT be a partisan issue. But somehow it has become one. Therefore, for a Democrat to sponsor this bill in Congress, is beyond refreshing. Maybe now the Democrats in Minnesota will wake up and eliminate the state taxes on Social Security. Or not.

Anyhow, welcome to reality Congresswoman. Even though I disagree with you on most things, I strongly agree with you on this topic. ANYTHING I can do to help you get this passed, I will join you. But that is the water's edge. Anything else you propose, you are on your own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment