Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Its that MATH thing, Stupid!

 
 


"In today's new math, the answer can be whatever you want it to be as long as you feel good about it"
 
I confess. I did not watch the State of the Union address last night. I just could not handle it. Enough had leaked out in advance, that I knew what the theme was going to be. To preserve my blood pressure as well to protect the screen on my TV, I watched something on Netflix instead.
 
It has been said many times by many people that Republicans don't understand science and Democrats don't understand math. I agree with half of this statement. I think Republicans understand science just fine, many of them just don't agree with the "junk science" that goes into the global warming theory. Democrats on the other hand, are dumber than rocks when it comes to math. Let me rephrase that - they are either dumber than rocks, or are very good at ignoring the obvious.
 
Last night was a good example of this math thing. Even though I did not watch it, I read the low lights in the paper this morning. Here is what needed to be talked about - the March 1st sequester plan, the debt ceiling plan, fixing the ever growing debt plan and entitlement reform. Instead POTUS talked about new programs being funded with new taxes. Somebody forgot to put on the teleprompter that we are BROKE, and every cent we spend now is borrowed or printed money. It is as if he lives in a world of sunshine and lolly pops where the rest of us live in "real ville". None of us can run our households the way he runs the government. If we did, we would be out on the street in no time at all. We need to practice rudimentary MATH when we live our lives as responsible citizens. He does not.
 
Another thing he wants to do is raise the minimum wage to $9/hour. In Minnesota, the Democrats want to raise it to $9.50/hour. Go ahead, you people who do not understand market forces. The net result of this increase will be less people working. If this was a good idea, it would have been raised it to $20/hour long ago. But it is not. Basic math will tell you that every employer has a finite amount of money to pay in wages. That is the constant, the variables are the amount paid and the number of people employed. The more paid, the less people. Simple, basic math. By the way, the minimum wage was NEVER suppose to be a living wage. It is a starter wage for young people. Hard work and learning your craft will allow that wage to rise with merit. DUH!!!
 
So here we are, the day after. The Candyman has spoken once again, and many are excited about the prospects of getting something for nothing. We will keep taxing the "rich" until the definition of rich stretches all the way down the income ladder. I have said before, there is not enough "tea in China" to do what POTUS wants us to do. What we need to do is start thinking with our heads and not our hearts. There are many things I would like to have right now, but can't afford them. My heart wants them, but my head says "NO". Most responsible homeowners feel the same way. It is February. I would like to spend the next two weeks in Hawaii, laying on a beach. I could do it, but I would miss my March house payment. Heart says yes, head says NO.
 
I guess until we stop teaching the "new math" and go back to real math, all we are going to end up with is fuzzy math and a big fat growing debt. That is not a responsible life in realville -  instead we will all be living in stupidville.

No comments:

Post a Comment