Sunday, February 17, 2013

Taking a "Do Better"...

 
 

 
"Expect people to be better than they are; it helps them to become better. But don't be disappointed when they are not; it helps them to keep trying"

Merry Browne
 
 
 
One of the managers I worked for had a very interesting expression. Every once in a while, there would be some kind of screw up done by an individual or the entire group. Rather than dish out punishment, he would review what happened and how it happened. Once everyone understood, he would say, "Lets move on and take a 'do better' on this one". Rather than wallow in the past, we would learn from it and face the future.

I often think of that expression, even though I am now retired. In fact, living in retirement does not exempt me from screwing up. On the contrary, things I screw up now have nothing to do with business - they usually have to do with people's lives.

Each morning when my feet hit the floor, I think about the day ahead. First however, I think about the day before. I think about any opportunities I let slip away. If I have fallen short on treating someone with appropriate kindness and grace, I first try to forgive myself for that miscue. I then vow to take a "do better".

The yardstick I use on myself come from some powerful words I used on my former blog many years ago. As easy as it is to be harsh, judgemental or to have my actions reveal a paucity of grace, I remember who I am dealing with - and that person is described by these words:


You are a child of God,
made in the image of the Most High….
and I will respect you as such.
You are uniquely made, without duplication, without equal.
You are the pinnacle of creation given absolute dominion over all creatures that wander the land, fill our skies and swim in countless seas, lakes and streams.
You are the one who the Maker of all things, great and small, has known since before time began. Every hair on your head is numbered and your name, your purpose, has been determined before the fall of man.
You are important and unique. In the vastness of creation you are very small, yet you play an incredibly vital part of God’s rich plan.
Yes, you are a child of God, our Heavenly Father - and I will respect you as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment