Sunday, September 28, 2014

Good for the soul...

 


"We always come back renewed and refreshed..."



Our pastor often talks about escaping to the North Shore to do his writing. A good Facebook friend of mine also talks about the need to go to the North Shore as it is good for his soul. My wife and I are in lock step with this thinking. We make it a practice to go to the North Shore at least once (usually more) a year.

Years ago the actor Telly Savalas, owned a restaurant in Duluth called The Bellows. It is closed now, but was one of our favorite places to eat while visiting Duluth. Even though we never saw Telly when we ate there, one time I asked a waitress why Telly had a restaurant in Duluth. She told me Telly Savalas absolutely loved the North Shore of Minnesota. He called it the "Rivera of the North". With his money and fame, he could have opened a restaurant anywhere. But he chose Duluth.

My wife and I both know when it is time. There is never an argument. One will suggest it, and the other agrees without hesitation. Both of our internal compasses point North. Yesterday was one of those days. Right after breakfast I laid out the tease. "Sure would be a great day to head up to Duluth and see the colors". All I needed to say. By shortly after 9:45, it was wheels up and we were on our way.

We have been doing this for over 40 years now. I still don't understand what the draw is. Is it the lake, the ruggedness of the shoreline, the trees, the topography? Have no idea. It is probably a combination of all of them. All I know is this - we left on a whim, visited Duluth for a few short hours, and then came home totally refreshed. And we are going back in November for our annual "Gales of November" visit.

If you have not been to Duluth for a while and need a shot of refresh for you soul, consider a day trip (or longer). Duluth and the North Shore are Minnesota treasures. They are a gift we should all avail ourselves to.

No comments:

Post a Comment