Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Between the devil and the deep blue sea...

 
 
 


"A bit of grace please! The paint was not even dry on Tom's door when the first vote was taken..."



Yesterday was an historic day. The new Congress was sworn in. After one of the most lopsided elections in recent history, the new team is now in place. And the first critical vote was taken. Not for the Keystone Pipeline or anything like that. It was for who would be the next Speaker of the House. And that is where the ship hit the sand.

John Boehner was running for another term as Speaker. He was being challenged by Louie Gohmert from Texas. If you ask most Conservatives, they will tell you the same thing. Boehner is weak kneed, and at times unprincipled. Gohmert on the other hand, is highly principled, very Conservative and likeable (except by Lefties). I knew even before the vote was taken that it was a long shot for Louie. The former Speaker was about to become the current Speaker.

While the paint was still trying on Tom Emmer's door, he had to take a decisive vote. Knowing Tom, it was a hard one. He knew a vote for Boehner would set off a firestorm, especially on social media. He also knew if he voted for Gohmert and Boehner won, there might be "ramifications". Tom's a smart guy. Even though a freshman, he knows his way around the block. He was stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea. He, as well as enough others, voted to give Boehner one more term.

Now I am not, by any stretch, a John Boehner fan. I don't believe he is a Conservative and I sure don't think he has shown much backbone in standing up to the President. I am however, a Tom Emmer fan. Was I disappointed he voted for Boehner? Not really. I know Tom weighed the options and came up with what he believed was the best of the bad. I promised a friend of mine who ran against Tom in the primary, if Tom did not stand by his promises, his principles, I would not support him for reelection. I would support her should she run again. I am betting however that Tom will not disappoint. This vote is over and it is time to move on. Votes in the future will constitute Tom's report card.

I consider myself to be as Conservative as many (not all). That being said, I probably would have plugged my nose and voted the same way that Tom did. As Governor Christy said last year, "You can't govern if you don't win." In committee assignments, it is hard to effect change when your assignment is something which does not matter. Once Tom earns some strips like his predecessor had, he can become more embolden in casting tough inter-party votes like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment