Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Cold, growing old, not so bold...






"Today, we call off school when we get 2 - 6 inches of snow in the metro. We call off school for two days when a "polar vortex" drops in. When I was a lad, we did neither. To earn a snow day, snow would have to be measured in the feet instead of the inches. And a "cold day"? Never happened."


Here we are. Ground zero for the latest assault by Mother Nature. This thing called a "polar vortex" or something. As a kid, we would just call this weather "bone chilling" cold. In the Navy, we called it "Brass Monkey" cold (if you don't know what this means, please don't ask). Today, we have meteorologist terms like "polar vortex". ALGORE still calls type of cold, "climate change". All I know is this - the smart ones have gotten the heck out of Dodge, long before this one hit.

Today, we call off school when we get 2 - 6 inches of snow in the metro. We call off school for two days when a "polar vortex" drops in. When I was a lad, we did neither. To earn a snow day, snow would have to be measured in the feet instead of the inches. And a "cold day"? Never happened.

Since kids are off of school for three days straight this week, what do you think they will be doing? TV, video games, social media, playing games. Homework? Some districts have programs when a child is not in school, there are home assignments to complete. Kind of like being a work from home parent. I dare say the districts who have such programs are in the minority instead of majority. Another one of those game changing improvements to education which the cabal of teacher unions and government fight not to implement. 

A woman I worked with many years ago, transferred to Minneapolis from Sunnyvale, California. About halfway through her first winter, she came into my office and sat down. She had a disgusted look on her face. I guess all the excitement about coming to the Twin Cities had worn off. She said, "In Minnesota, you only grow three things. Older, colder and fatter." And then she got up and left. I guess some venting helped her.

But - as cold as it will get tonight and tomorrow night, the end is near. In a bit over two weeks, early spring will start. Yes, I believe there to be eight seasons in Minnesota instead of four. Early spring starts on February 15th and goes until March 31st. On April 1st, late spring starts and goes until May 14th. On May 15th early summer starts. You get the picture. Instead of 90 days long, the seasons are 45 days long.  

There is however, one more bit of good news about this "historic" cold snap. It might just prove too cold for some of the Emerald Ash Borer larvae to survive. Shame. It might also reduce the amount of blood suckers we have next summer. Their larvae might also take a hit. Again, shame. 

What am I going to do to survive this latest polar vortex? Not much. Make an all day fire. Read. Write. Organize stuff. By Friday it will be close to 30, and I will be outside once again, doing stuff and going places. Plus we have grandparent duty that day. It's all good. Time to cocoon. Stay warm out there folks. 

5 comments:

  1. I guess we really should be thankful for that 1.5 degrees of Global Warming (since 1880), otherwise it would be even colder? Oh, wait, we know that "climate change," caused by global warming, can bring MORE snow and COLDER weather. There's your proof, right there. Climate changes.

    Proof that this global-warming-causes-cold situation is manmade, however, is left as an exercise for the student. Thank Heaven for fossil fuels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never considered February at all part of spring.

    A line I noted in the _Reader's Digest_ last century: "February is winter. April is spring. March is the hangup in between." But that was written for elsewhere, & even here one winter seems unlike the next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some addle-pated Warmist insisted that this terrible cold didn't mean anything, because it was HOT in Australia. Call me a believer in global warming, I guess, because it seems to come around every year, long about April.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been suffering from a deadly disease (Hsv) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lIot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr Onokun helped someone in curing his (Hsv) herpes disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Amos harrison  , from New york, USA I can’t stop thanking DR odoma for this Great thing that he has done in my life, I am so grateful to him, i was suffering from HIV virus for 11 years,when i contacted DR odoma after reading the wonderful testimony that people has been sharing about him. I have been on medication and trying looking for a cure to my ailment. I went through internet doctors and I contacted a Tradomedical/Traditional doctor named, Dr odoma for help. He gave me all his rules and regulations,that if he cured me that I should write about him on an internet site and that is what I’m doing now. He assured me that he will cure me with his herbal medicine which he really did, and I’m now completely cured from HIV virus. What will I say rather than thanking him for saving me? Why suffering in silence when there is remedy to your diseases.Dr odoma also specialize in curing the following disease:
    *HIV/Aids
    *Kidney failure*Penis enlargement manhood 
    *Arthritis
    *Diabetes
    *Hypertension
    *Stroke
    *Obesity
    *Infertility/Impotency
    *Cancer
    *Eye Problem
    *Skin Problem
    *Fibroid Tumor
    *Ulcer
    *Prostate Problem
    *Asthma
    *Weight Management
    *Gonorrhea/Staphylococcus
    *Candidie
    *Low sperm can
    *Weak erection
    *Weak ejaculation
    *Pile
    *Elephantiasis
    *Skin Infection
    *Paralysis e.t.c
    *If you want your ex back.
    *If you always have bad dreams.
    *Herpes
    *Hpv
    *If you want to be promoted in your office. For more information contact Dr odoma via email:(drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com), you can also call him on his mobile number or whatsapp +2348100649947  

    ReplyDelete