Friday, July 3, 2020

From sea to shining sea!





"Happy birthday America! And thank you! And thank you to all who helped keep this country free and prosperous. You are a one of a kind, America. And we love you for it!"     


First off, let me say this one very important thing - HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA! I know this past year has not been easy for you, but you have been through tough years before. You continue to stand tall and proud. You lead the world in so many things, not the least of which is freedom and liberty. The nay sayers keep waiting for you to get tired and old, but that never seems to happen. So my friend, my home - tomorrow is your birthday. ENJOY IT! I know the rest of us will!

During the past twelve months, my wife and I have been from sea to shining sea. In other words, in all four of the time zones which spread across this great country. That is not a unique accomplishment, as I am sure many others can make that same boast. Then why bring it up? No matter which state, no matter which direction traveled - visiting or dwelling in this great nation is a thrill which never stops. Ours is not a perfect union, although we continue to endeavor to make it so. But it still remains the land so many yearn to come to. To live in.

This morning on Fox and Friends, Pete Hegseth said something very profound. I know it hit home with me. He said the reasons so many vets love this country so deeply, is they have been to other countries throughout the world during their service. No matter the direction they traveled, or the era they did it in. I lived in a very poor, third world country for a year and a half. As much as l loved this country before I left, I loved it (and appreciated it) even more so when I arrived back home in the states.

Tonight, the President will be visiting Mount Rushmore for a celebration of America, complete with fireworks. Yes, fireworks. The chattering class is already condemning the President for doing so. "Disrespectful, dangerous, distasteful". For some reason unbeknownst to me, the left in this country seems to cherish our defeat, and abhor our victories. The fact this nation has been the shining city on the city for almost 250 years is a victory. The fact that that this nation has saved civilization more than once, is a victory. As Bono has said, "America is more than a country - it is an idea which has now been shared with the world".

Yes, we have having your birthday party in the middle of a pandemic. I dare say it is not the first time we have done that, nor may it be the last. We have celebrated your birthday in the middle of world wars, during depressions, during recessions, and during the best of the best times. We have traveled the highs and lows together, and yet, we always made it to the other side. Why? So that we could live another year in the most blessed country in the history of mankind. 

Happy birthday America! And thank you! And thank you to all who helped keep this country free and prosperous. You are a one of a kind, America. And we love you for it!     

1 comment: