Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Garage Prepping?





"Prepping is being prepared in good times. Hoarding is panic buying in bad times. In the southeast and eastern part of the United States, many folks would have given their eyeteeth for some five gallon cans of gasoline."


Last year, I did something I have dreamed about for years. I had our garage floor coated with an epoxy "fleck". Not only does it make the garage floor much more durable (especially living in this harsh environment), but it also makes the garage floor look more "inside" than "outside". Half the fun now that winter is over, is putting my "stuff" back in the garage, and having it look truly, like an outside "man land".

As the garage (my outside man land) started to take shape, I posted a picture of it on social media. Got some interesting comments, especially concerning how much charcoal and gas cans I have. Like, I guess I have more than average. To that charge, I plead guilty. But there is method in my madness. And this past month, exhibit "A" to why I prep my garage, was played out with the Colonial Pipeline.

Prepping is being prepared in good times. Hoarding is panic buying in bad times. In the southeast and eastern part of the United States, many folks would have given their eyeteeth for some five gallon cans of gasoline. Many started to hoard. But many others, did have some stored gasoline. If you lived in WDC, and did not have stored gasoline, you were really in trouble. About 80% of the gas stations were out of gas. Having a few gas cans in your garage (fuel stabilized), is a smart play. Besides being there for emergency purposes, they also fuel your lawnmower and/or tractor.

Now the charcoal. Why have more than one bag? I read an article a few years ago, about cooking your food if the natural gas and/or electricity got shut off. We have seen the ransomware or malware hackers can shut down just about anything at any time. Having charcoal and/or cooking gas on hand in your garage to use on your grill, will allow you to cook some of your food. Matches, charcoal lighter, cooking gas, and charcoal are handy to have around. Plus - they don't expire - and are not affected by temperature.

In any event, doing the garage floor really dresses up the entire garage. It makes it look brighter and more inviting. I have had a couple people ask if I am happy with it. Extremely so. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Do I have it set up like in the image above? Nope - not even close. But I do have it set up where it makes sense to me. Where it is comfortable to me. 

Bottom line? When I am outside busting my butt doing yard work, having that little piece of man land paradise, works just fine for me.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment