Sunday, June 6, 2021

Strange tales from Maryland...






"I have said this before - they are something, and they are not nothing. Until we find out, this mystery will continue." 


I don't think I have ever told this story before. Many years ago, when I was a boot ("butter bar") Ensign, I was assigned to Pensacola for some advanced training. I was stationed at Pensacola a couple times in my enlisted days, so I knew the lay of the land fairly well. One of the other newly minted Ensigns from upstate New York was also in my class. We decided to forego the overcrowded BOQ, and rent a trailer on Mustin Beach. It was a great plan, and things were working out very well.

The class had officers and enlisted from all over the country. Great time to connect, or re-connect. One of the admin types in the CT rating, was a very sharp first class from just outside of Adelphi, Maryland. She was single, and wanted to make this two week class into a "busman's holiday". In other words, she and her mom (they were very close), came down together to have a mini-vacation, once the class was over.

My roommate and I had found out the petty officer was also renting a trailer on Mustin Beach. When she found out we were neighbors on the Beach, she insisted we come over for drinks and conversation. We agreed, and the event was set up to happen shortly before the class was finished, and we were all to leave.

The evening came when we to go over to their trailer. It was a moonless night, and so dark, you could hardly see the beach. Once we arrived, we met "Mom", had a cocktail and some chit chat. Then for an "ice breaker", I tried to make a humorous comment: "Boy it is so dark outside, a UFO could abduct us, and nobody would ever know!" Expecting a laugh for that goofy line, all I got were vacant stares. "We have seen a UFO, up close and personal, and it is no laughing matter", the petty officer said. Her mom looked even more upset - "We both saw it. Not just for an instant, but for almost an hour."

Before I go any further - let me explain something. This petty officer, this E-6, had one of the highest clearances the Navy had to offer. In other words, if you were a liar, you would have never made it this far. They lived just outside the city of Adelphi, Maryland, in a rural setting. One evening towards dusk, they got a panic call from a neighbor. "Did you see what is over George's farmhouse right now? If not, go and look!"

To make a long story short, this petty officer's mother called George (the neighbor) so he could come outside and look above his house. It was some kind of a disk, motionless, just suspended. Soon other neighbors were called, the police were called, and the number of witnesses were well over a dozen. And then just like that, after close to an hour, the disk took off at an amazing speed. It never returned, but the folks who saw it, will always remember it.

I tell this story for a reason. I have never seen a UFO that close up, and for that long. The one my son-in-law and I witnessed, was just taking off from a river, and slowly going straight up. Do I think these two people were lying to us? Telling a whooper? No, for many reasons. The most important being, how the story was told to us. After so many years in this life, liars and BS artists are usually easy to spot. There was no BS evident in the recounting of this adventure.

This sighting was not unique. There have been others all over the country. What are they? Who knows. Hopefully, there will be some insight in the forthcoming UAP report from the DOD. I have said this before - they are something, and they are not nothing. Until we find out, this mystery will continue. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment