Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Once upon a time in America...





"Our generation had it so good (not with money, but with hope). Will those days ever return? Probably not. All we have is our memories. Lots and lots of good memories." 


Ever wish you could go back in time? Revisit the days of yesteryear? Not from a position of regret, so you could live some days over and fix some mistakes. I mean just soaking in what was considered normal back then. Like Ritchie in Happy Days. I yearn for those days. The days of hope and wonder, rather than some snake oil salesman peddling "hope and change". We got the change alright and lost our hope while doing it.

But back to the past. How about the 1960s? That was the decade I graduated, I dabbled in college and went into the service. Life was good back then. I would get up in the morning, watch my dad head off to work, have a quick breakfast, and go off to school. School back then was good. No fights, no crime, no drugs. Just learning and having fun doing it. After school, if I did not have play practice, I would go to work at Montgomery Wards. It seemed like half of my classmates worked there. It was fun, and I earned some "walking around money" also.

Were there some problems? Sure. The anti-war kerfuffle. Drugs just starting to creep into the picture. But putting that aside, life was exceptionally good. Lots of friends, lots of fun, lots of learning in school. Without the problems we have today. I graduated from high school, as most of my friends did - a virgin did not smoke and did not drink. And drugs? No way, Jose!

Kids were polite to each other. We were polite to adults. We were polite to our teachers. We all had our schedules and our dreams. College, and/or service, or trade school, get married, have kids, buy a nice house in the suburbs. Quite frankly - most of us wanted to be like our parents. Why is that? We looked up to our parents as the greatest generation. And that they truly were!

I feel for kids these days. Guns, drugs, anxiety, depression, and so forth. Some teens look at the future and decide to take the other way out - suicide. This is not fair. Our generation had it so good (not with money, but with hope). Will those days ever return? Probably not. All we have is our memories. Lots and lots of good memories. 


No comments:

Post a Comment