Sunday, April 22, 2018

Our NEW, four party system!




"Sorry to be this blunt folks. I have been talking to Jeff Johnson about this run long before he announced. He is the right man, at the right time, for the right job. It has been eons since we have had a REAL conservative as Governor. As the old saying goes, 'Try it - you might like it.'"  



I am sorry if I am smarting a bit this afternoon. I have been on the receiving end of a major "smack down" by some who believe differently than I - and in the same party! First off - two points of clarity. First, I am a purist. A rule follower. Been that way for a long time. Second - I am on Jeff Johnson's team. I am in charge of "Vets for Jeff". That being said, it is time to vent.

This is my third time of being selected to be a state delegate. It is an honor to do so. Why? I have seen the impassioned speeches by many at the BPOU endorsing convention to represent the BPOU at the district and state conventions. I never take it for granted that I will be selected. Like I say - it is an honor. 

The way I was taught the system worked made perfectly good sense to me. Go to caucus, try to be a delegate to the BPOU convention (easy), then go to the BPOU convention, ENDORSE your rep(s) and if it is the right year, your senator. Then you can run as a delegate to represent your BPOU at the district and/or state convention (not as easy). Once the state convention is over, the endorsed candidates are set (unless the convention is brokered), and it is on to battle the Dems.

Not so fast cowboy. There might be an "Arnie Carlson" Republican lurking in the shadows, or someone who lost the endorsement yet has a bucket full of money. Rather than honoring the endorsement of their party, this outsider will try to upset the apple cart by trying to win the primary. Meanwhile, all the faithful who have supported the endorsed candidate since the get-go, are scratching their heads, wondering what just happened.

Here is what I have been told as of late. Minnesota has changed. A true conservative, like Jeff Johnson does not have a prayer. We need an Arnie Carlson Republican who can appeal to the purple middle. Or maybe TPaw. We all know Pawlenty will grow state government like he did before, but not as fast as Watz. With TPaw, it is all good. We are ready to go. Status quo - full steam ahead!

So here is my final and most vital point. Minnesota is no longer a two party system. No sir re bob. We are now a four party state. Conservatives, Republicans, Democrats, and progressives. All three candidates on the blue ticket are progressives (in my book). On our side, the conservatives are Jeff, Phil and maybe Mary. Tim Pawlenty is not a conservative. He knows it - we know it. Plus, he did not govern as such before.

Sorry to be this blunt folks. I have been talking to Jeff Johnson now about this run before he announced. He is the right man, at the right time, for the right job. It has been eons since we have had a REAL conservative as Governor. As the old saying goes, "Try it - you might like it."  


1 comment:

  1. Very Angry Bird you are no doubt correct in your assessment in the current state of affairs of Minnesota politics if not national.

    ReplyDelete