Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My Life at NAVSEA

 
 



"I was there so much, I almost had to pay taxes to the state of Virginia"



The news yesterday about the shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington both shocked and saddened me. It really hit home because it took place at the Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA). Even though I never visited the new home of NAVSEA at the Navy Yard, I visited NAVSEA hundreds of times in its former location in Crystal City, VA.

My life with NAVSEA started in 1978. I was with Sperry Univac and had just been accepted into the Contract Management group. My boss took my out to Washington to give me the "lay of the land" and introduce my to the customer base. It was an amazing place to visit. Crystal City was right next to National Airport and just across the river from the mall. It was heady and exciting times for a young guy not to many years out of college.

I visited NAVSEA probably a dozen times while at Sperry Univac. After five years, the company across the river from Sperry (Control Data) was the surprise winner of the new AN/AYK-14 Standard Airborne Computer. The win surprised everyone - even Control Data. Control Data Corporation (CDC) then went on a hiring binge. I was one of the lucky ones to be picked. Even though CDC was going to be dealing with Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) for the new product, CDC still had a smaller business with NAVSEA. For the next ten years, that is what I did at CDC - worked the NAVSEA account with resulted in dozens upon dozens trips to Washington.

After ten years at CDC, I was recruited by the FMC company. FMC was in a pitched battle with Martin Marietta for the Vertical Launching System (VLS) business. This business was really a step up from what I worked on prior to coming to FMC. My trips to Washington really picked up, and NAVSEA was once again my customer. I had grown to know many people within the NAVSEA Command, regardless if they worked on my product or not. To a certain extent, it was like a family.

While at FMC, I developed a very good working relationship and friendship with the Procurement Contracting Officer (PCO). On most trips, I would arrive in his office about 8am. He and I would either go downstairs or to a shop in the "underground" to have a bagel and coffee. It was a routine for not only him, but also many, many others at NAVSEA. Even though it was often hard work, it was always fun to visit my friend, and I always felt safe within the Command.

The twelve people who died yesterday at NAVSEA did not deserve their fate. Many died while having breakfast in the cafeteria.  As with the people who died on 9/11, the only crime the NAVSEA people committed was going to work.

Every time there is a senseless shooting, I grieve for the victims. This time however, it hit a bit closer to home. Today, my grieving goes a bit deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment