Friday, July 25, 2014

Summer Vacation!

 
 


"I forgot to check - how days of vacation come with this job?"




I was thinking yesterday. I was thinking back when I was still in the heat of battle in the work a day world. One of the biggest, most stressful negotiations I was ever involved in became a nine week marathon in Washington. There were many "chips on the table". To be successful in the deal meant $100M for the company (which was lots of money on 1986), and 100 manufacturing jobs. To lose the deal was unthinkable.

The deal had quite a bit of visibility which went quite a way up the food chain. Imagine about half way through the negotiation I told my boss I needed to go on vacation. Anywhere from two to five weeks. After all, it is something I did every year. The result would have been simple - after my boss got done laughing, he would have fired me on the spot. Period. Game over.

Today, in the sea of scandals, crisis and emergencies, our Congress is going to pack up, grab their sun screen, and go relax. Don't worry - it will only be a quickie - five weeks to be exact. Our President is also going on vacation. Only his will be a paltry two weeks in Martha's Vineyard.

Now far be it from me to tell anyone they can't take vacation. However, I also believe that timing is everything. Is the VA mess fixed as yet? Not that I know of. So our vets are hung out to dry for another period of time. Hurry up and wait some more. How about the southern border? Nope. Tens of thousands of poor, uneducated minors are showing up with no place to go. ISIL in Iraq and Syria? Now that we know the Administration knew this threat was growing for many months and DID NOTHING about it, who cares if it grows some more while the lawmakers vacation. Israel and Gaza? The death toll is nearing 1,000 and peace is nowhere is sight. Even Jimmy Carter could bring warring factions together in the Middle East. The Russian reset button? Oh well, it is the Cold War, take two.

When everyone comes back around Labor Day, we will then be focused on the mid-terms. I dare say that none of the items listed above will be over by that time. In fact, if past history is any guide, there will be more to add. The IRS scandal is not yet resolved, the Benghazi story had not yet been told, and the whole NSA mystery remains just that - a mystery.

In my almost 65 years, I have NEVER seen our nation's capitol so hosed up. And that is the nicest way I can say it (and also with no invective). If I was the CEO of this country, I would fire just about everyone, from the White House down. I would then replace them with people who have skills and dedication. Good Lord - how in the world did we get to such a place!

No comments:

Post a Comment