Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Scott Problem?

 
 



"There is often a price to pay when you snub party loyalists at their big dance..."


Before I get into the meat of this article, let me first make two points: 1) I have never met Scott Honour. I would have liked to, but he decided to skip the Rochester endorsing convention. He might be the nicest man in the world or otherwise, I just don't know. 2) What I have to say I will do gently, as not to violate the 11th commandment. I think Scott is a Republican, but I don't know for sure, as he has never run for any office before.

Yesterday, there was a big article in the home town newspaper about Scott. The purpose of the article was to introduce Scott to the public. It talked about his Minnesota roots, his family, his move to California, and then his return home. It was all fine and dandy until it discussed his career. Because Scott is such an unknown, I had no idea what he did for a living. I do know he became fabulously wealthy from it. He retired from his firm at the ripe old age of 45 with enough money in the bank to buy a $15M home on Lake Minnetonka.

If Scott were running as a Democrat, what he did for a living would be a huge target for me. You see, Scott was not a job creator like other Republican candidates I have talked to. According to the article in the paper, Scott was a job eliminator. The part of the article which bothered me defined his company as follows:
 
The company specialized in buying companies and then finding efficiencies through layoffs, plant closings and other reductions, sometimes resulting in bankruptcy.

It said that one of the areas that Scott specialized in was the Defense sector. Since I worked in that sector for 25 years, I am fully aware of the pain and suffering downsizing caused many fellow workers. Many of the people who were laid off had trouble making their mortgage payment, much less buying a new mansion on the big lake to the west.

In the last election, the Democrats simply hammered poor old Mitt Romney for being "rich and out of touch". To Mitt's credit, he created companies which created jobs. To his detriment, he also acquired companies that after streamlining, cost jobs. Overall however, Mitt created more jobs than he eliminated. In addition, Mitt had government executive experience as the former Governor of Massachusetts.

My biggest fear about Scott Honour (should he win the August 12th primary) is simply this - he will become a caricature of an ancient stereotype of the Republican Party. Even though our current Governor leaves Scott in the dust with his family money (worth over $1B), because of the way presents himself, most state lemmings don't look at him as being rich. Scott's wealth, along with his lack of government experience, and his career record, could make him a huge target. That would dilute any valid message Scott was trying to deliver.

Hopefully, I was able to make my point without excoriating Scott or besmirching his character. That is not my aim. In addition, it is not my intent to violate the eleventh commandment. My advice to Scott's campaign staff would be simple - stand by to address these issues. They will probably not come up before the primary, but should Scott be victorious in August, you can bet your bottom dollar they will be front and center in the November general election.

No comments:

Post a Comment