Monday, February 9, 2015

Stolen Valor

 
 

 
"Why did Brian Williams conflate the truth? Why did he want Stolen Valor? Good question with very fuzzy answers right now..."

This is a tale almost as old as time. There is a reason why people do this. However, unless your thinking is a bit off, most of us cannot understand why some do. It is Stolen Valor. Pretending to be in the military when you are not. Or if you are in the military, wearing war decorations which were not earned.

Shortly before I left Okinawa in 1971, someone whom I did not know (he was in a different watch section) rotated out. He took a cab to Kadena Air Force Base to catch a flight back to Travis Air Force Base in California. Before he left the island, he went to the Exchange and bought a bunch of Viet Nam campaign ribbons, including a Purple Heart. Seems when he go back home, he wanted to impress his girlfriend. However, when he landed at Travis, by his bad luck and our good luck, he ran into someone from our command who had just gotten back the night before. Needless to say, the jig was up. The MPs were notified and this guy was suddenly in a world of hurt.

As far as Brian Williams is concerned, I don't know if it was his sole intent to steal other's valor, or if he is just a pathological liar. Or, maybe he has a Walter Middy complex. All I know is this - he is finished. Even if he is able to keep his job (which I find doubtful), few will ever trust him again. Oh, he will still be a darling to some on the Left. They will take him back. However, people on the Right, people in the middle, people who seek the truth, will always have a problem when Williams states anything as fact. Just like when someone is caught cheating on their spouse, Williams was found cheating on the viewing public. Cheating them out of the truth.

I served for 21 years in the Navy and Naval Reserve. I never saw combat. I am neither proud nor ashamed of that fact. It was just how things were in my rating at that time. That being said, I have the utmost respect for my fellow soldiers, sailors and airmen who went into harm's way. Some were killed. Some were physically wounded. Some brought back unseen wounds which are just as serious as physical wounds. Most all that came back, came back changed. The valor these men and women exhibited is the best of the best. Anyone, even a famous newscaster, who would steal this valor, deserves to be besmirched and castigated.

To Brian Williams I say this - try an apology one more time. This time with feeling. Apologize to the troops whose valor you stole. Then apologize to the American people for lying to them. After you do that, resign immediately. After making $10M a year for a while, you should have a nice nest egg. Don't worry about the anchor chair - one of the eager younglings the network will take your place. Life will go on. Trust, after a while, will be restored to some viewers. As for many of us on the Right who have never trusted the Main Stream Media, this is Exhibit "A" on why NOT to watch network news. Agenda driven and truth deprived. Over, and over, and over again.

1 comment:

  1. Some see combat some don't. Doesn't matter. It is all of immense value and service to our nation and even more value to those in combat posts who depend on those in procurement, intelligence, communications or other support roll. I am not saying they could not live without them but with them the chances they live and succeed in their roles and return to their families is so much higher thanks to the WHOLE TEAM. I personally struggle with the Brian Williams incident. Pathological liar seems just too harsh. Stolen Valor? Well I am not sure who he was stealing from but posturing, being a poser and in this instance for sure lying- consciously unconsciously that is between he and God for sure. Unfortunately trust and the news parted company long before Brian Williams. Maybe I have just set my expectations of him too low. Certainly I am not a vet so maybe it is easier for me to forgive him. One thing is for sure and i tell my children and my colleagues and myself this all the time: There have to be consequences. Hard to feel sorry for a guy who has been raking in $10 M. So another one bites the dust... tip of the hat to Queen. I am certainly no stone thrower in this case. I have my own atoning to do when my time comes. But one thing is for certain. We are human. no one who sets out to be a saint will become one and those that do become saints are certainly not perfect either. Just makes all those 10 year commercials so hollow. I guess the GI in the fox hole had the right idea all along.... keep your head down, your feet dry and your mouth shut. Bye Brian. Just try not to have Geraldo as a role model for your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete